Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oregon DEQ - New record for me...

It took me 8 attempts to get my '75 CIS 2.7 through DEQ; finally passed today. Previous record was 4 attempts. Last time it went through no issues on the first pass (more on that later).

Failure point was consistently high hydrocarbons. After investigating/ruling out ignition, timing, mixture/idle settings, I finally deduced that the engine just wasn't getting warm enough (even after several long drives). Oil temp was getting to 175F and staying there in this cool weather. Last time (when I got through first pass) I remember it was unseasonably warm (~75F).

My solution this morning to block off my front oil cooler, restrict the intake grill on the deck lid, and wrap some insulation around the WUR. This got oil temp to 185F after a decent drive and it passed no problem.

Maybe I can move my DEQ testing to July...
Old 10-12-2019, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you are not using it as a daily driver, you should consider SP Plates.

No more DEQ! No More registration fees every two years!

I just did this for my 911. With an SP Plate, $120.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've considered that but am "conflicted" on the law. This isn't my daily driver by any means, but does get driven outside the usage restrictions for special purpose plates.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
It took me 8 attempts to get my '75 CIS 2.7 through DEQ; finally passed today. Previous record was 4 attempts. Last time it went through no issues on the first pass (more on that later).

Failure point was consistently high hydrocarbons. After investigating/ruling out ignition, timing, mixture/idle settings, I finally deduced that the engine just wasn't getting warm enough (even after several long drives). Oil temp was getting to 175F and staying there in this cool weather. Last time (when I got through first pass) I remember it was unseasonably warm (~75F).

My solution this morning to block off my front oil cooler, restrict the intake grill on the deck lid, and wrap some insulation around the WUR. This got oil temp to 185F after a decent drive and it passed no problem.

Maybe I can move my DEQ testing to July...

Front cooler shouldnít be active below 185- unless the thermostat isnít working properly. The other trick to get it to run hotter is to advance the timing a couple degrees.. and then drive the snot out of it.

Sent from charles freebornís mobile thingamajig
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed - It shouldn't have been active - I blocked it off "just because".
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: