Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Portland Tours training

I find it interesting that the Portland club is starting a "Tours Training", program. These kind of events can be quite enjoyable. I remember one, a covered bridge tour that was back in parts of Oregon I didn't know exited.

On the other hand I remember a few that turned into a race, scaring bikers, dogs and hikers, where I just went home. For me track days and autoxing is the place for that. I hope this 'Tour Training' will address that.

McMinnville, Ore
Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Our chapter up here has been doing this for a few years now. I have to wonder if it's a mandate from higher up, addressing liability issues or something.

I have not attended a PCA tour in several years. When I was going regularly, the pace ebbed up and down several times over the years. There would be some kind of "come to Jesus" moment and the tours would slow down to the point where we were often holding up other traffic. Then the pace would creep up again, reaching a full on track day pace, with guys who obviously had no business driving like that on or off the track. This would go on until the next incident, after which they would slow down again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Maybe the PCA as a whole is trying to set some standards in an effort to mitigate some of that.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 01-25-2020, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes Jeff

I remember once when they would send out groups maybe 8 cars at a time. Then I tried one last summer, one of the drivers was telling some other drivers about how he liked to get over 120 mph. I said you probably really like track days and he said 'no' that's dangerous. I stayed thru the first break. We were running over 100 on some back roads. After 3 bikers and 2 joggers I felt enough is enough and went home.
McMinnville, Ore
Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
I used to go on almost all the Arrive and Drives, and led a few of them. It was fun until you start realizing the risk everyone (in car or not) is taking. Its the same reason a lot of old car clubs that used to do cruises stopped doing cruises. People get rowdy. I remember a TnT cruise years ago all the way to the coast and back. We didnt make it but a mile from the starting point and someone rear ended someone else. Then we got to the coast and someone else did it.
It was fun picking windy back roads, etc, and its all fine until it's not.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Decided to give up my PCA membership this year after telling myself last year I would do a couple of track days and not making it, cost being a factor. Went to a couple of talks, but didn’t learn much new. Gave up on their tours about 8 years ago after almost falling asleep on a drive to Mt Baker and that was it. Really don’t think I will miss it, including Pano.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, I have only remained a member for the track days. Those days may be numbered now as well. Our air cooled cars have been well and truly left behind by the modern water pumpers, with the last several years especially seeing a massive uptick in track performance from every model of Porsche. It used to be I could hang with most of them, but those days are long gone. I'm starting to feel like I know how the 356 drivers must have felt when I first started doing track days - hopelessly out-gunned. I'll do a few PCA track days this year and see how it goes.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I didn't even go to a track day last year. I think I might go to one of the SCCA track nights this summer. Just to get the old car out and twist her tail a couple of times. Might try the PCA arrive and drive. I think I heard they were sending cars out in small groups. We'll see.

Working on my Mini to see if I can drive it better in an autox, it understeers pretty bad. Adding a rear sway bar which is supposed to make it oversteer some. Well that's a porsche so I should be able to handle that.
McMinnville, Ore
Old 02-17-2020, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent olsen View Post
I didn't even go to a track day last year. I think I might go to one of the SCCA track nights this summer. Just to get the old car out and twist her tail a couple of times. Might try the PCA arrive and drive. I think I heard they were sending cars out in small groups. We'll see.

Working on my Mini to see if I can drive it better in an autox, it understeers pretty bad. Adding a rear sway bar which is supposed to make it oversteer some. Well that's a porsche so I should be able to handle that.
They send in small groups because the beginning groups want to go as fast as they can and the end groups don't.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, they have taken that approach up here as well - different "run groups", so to speak, just like track days. The more "spirited" (PCA euphemism for dangerously fast and irresponsible) groups leave first. The slower groups leave later, and get to drive through the areas where the fast groups have already pissed everybody off. Great system.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Didn't think of that. As you drive by slower you are able to see the dead dogs and bicyclists in the bushes.

McMinnville, Ore
Old 02-18-2020, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: