Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

the city wants to put a bus stop in front of my shop. help!

i need the help of my customers and friends to head off a proposed bus stop in front of my shop. if enough people can write a letter to king county transit on my behalf, they may reconsider. basically, if the proposal goes as planned, there will be no parking in front of my shop. i will have to park down the block and in the residential neighborhood, which won't go over well with the neighbors, who need their parking too. tow truck access will be difficult, because they will constantly be blocking the busses. towed in cars will have to be parked a block away, and how am i going to get them back to the shop, other than calling another tow truck when i'm ready to work on them. i can't possibly park all the cars inside the shop during the day. all bus stops also generate a lot of graffiti and other property damage, as well as garbage, wierdos, requests for change and restroom use, and urinators. fumes from the busses will travel right up the driveway into the shop. with a bus every 15 minutes, access in and out of the shop will be a pain, waiting for the bus to get out of the way. i'm also worried about security, with hundreds of bus riders peering into the shop all day, checking out the cars and thousands of dollars worth of equipment and tools. it won't be good. the other two businesses on either side of me, a large antique shop, and a CD and tape copy store both have a lot of vehicle traffic and will suffer as well. the transit plan is to eliminate a pair of existing stops one block north and one block south of me. both of these existing stops have been there for eons, and do not adversly affect any of the businesses they are in front of. the small diner, accounting office, and two apartment buildings have no significant need for vehicle access. the existing stop to the south of me would be the least likely to affect anyone, and should be retained. the remaining eight years of my lease will not be easy with this setup, and could possibly force me to break the lease and move elsewhere, which, at my age, may be my home shop, which would result in a drastic reduction of customer service and income.

if any of you feel like writing an e/mail letter to king county transit on my behalf, i would be forever in your debt.
the letter should be e/mailed to me, at jwworkshop@aol.com. please use this e/mail address, because the pelican private message box will only accept a limited number of messages before becoming full. i will print them out and present the pile to king county transit before october 15th, which is the end of the discussion period. i will continue to forward the letters i receive after the 15th also.

please address the letter to:

Mary Bemowski, acting transit planner,
c/o king county metro transit, and voice your concerns. mary seems to be on my side, and is a very nice lady, so please be nice.

thanks in advance, and if i have to buy a couple of printer ink cartridges, and a big stack of paper, so be it.

jwworkshop@aol.com

nice black vinyl dash wanted for 77 930.

the wheel is turning and you can't slow it down, you can't let go, and you can't hold on, you can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will.

Last edited by john walker's workshop on 10-14-2004 at 10:00 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old 10-14-2004, 10:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SCWDP President

John,
I can't begin to imagine how distressing this is for you.

Not knowing all the machinations of the KC Transit bureaucracy, I can only suggest you and your business neighbours should work together to fight this. And that probably means getting a lawyer.

You must have a few lawyers as customers, and if so, I'm sure they would be more than willing to help out the best damn Porsche mechanic in Seattle.

I wish there was something I could do for you from my side of the border. I know the legions of faithful JWW customers will do whatever they can. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Information Junky

Geez John. . yikes!

What kind of letter could we write?

This liberal city doesn't really care all that much about business. Puplic transit is the city's altruistic endevor for the cities finest, environmentally conscience citizens, donncha know.

What you need is for some little old lady in the apt-building to complain about her burden about walking the extra block.

. . or . .maybe you could tell the city that one of the parts delivery guys is a level-one sex offender. . . and you're concerned for the little boys & girls waiting for the bus .. .yadda yadda.

Sorry man. I just really think the city will laugh at you with a "Porsh" business and all . . . they figure that you will simply put-in for roof-top parking building permits.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
John,

I just received the following e-mail from the King County Metro TSR. How does this affect you? Hopefully they're bypassing the location in front of your shop.

Dear Mr. Cecale:

Metro has finalized the bus stop consolidation plan for Greenwood Ave N - Segments 2A and 2B, from N 65th Street to N 105th Street. Based on comments received from riders and community groups during the comment period, the initial proposal was modified. In the final plan, 6 of the 35 existing bus stops along Segment 2A will be closed permanently and 5 will be relocated. Along Segment 2B, 11 of the 33 existing bus tops will be closed permanently

The following bus stops will be closed:

Northbound (Outbound):
N 83rd St
N 95th St
N 105th St
N 115th St
N 120th St
N 127th St
N 133rd St
N 140th St

Southbound (Inbound):
N 140th St
N 133rd St
N 127th St
N 120th St
N 112th St
N 102nd St
N 95th St
N 81st St
N 71st St

The following bus stops will be relocated:

Northbound N 70th St will be relocated to N 68th St
Northbound N 79th St and N 81st St stops will be consolidated into a new stop at N 80th St, in front of the library
Northbound Greenwood Circle will move approximately 100 feet south, closer to the crosswalk at N 97th St
Northbound N 101st St will be relocated to N 100th St

These changes will become effective with the winter service change beginning February 12, 2005. Rider Alerts will be posted at these bus stops prior to final removal or relocation. Before consolidation, the average stop spacing is one stop every 630 feet, after consolidation, the average stop spacing will be one every 950 feet. See maps of final bus stop consolidation plan: Segment 2A and Segment 2B.

Note that the closed bus stop locations may still be available for passenger drop-off after 9 PM, using Metro's Night Stop Service

In the future, there may be additional changes to the bus stops in the area between N 75th St and N 78th St. However, these changes will not occur until there can be additional opportunities for input from the affected riders and businesses.

We understand that some of you may be inconvenienced by a bus stop closure, but we hope that the smoother ride and improved schedule reliability will help compensate for the inconvenience. We are currently surveying the remaining bus stops for possible improvements, such as new shelters and benches.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Metro to express your support and/or concern about the Route 5/Greenwood Avenue N consolidation project. For more information, please visit the project web site on Metro Online. (http://transit.metrokc.gov) Click on "Greenwood Avenue N Improvements Final Update" on the Metro Online home page, or under the "More Notices..." section.

The Route 5 Project Team
King County Metro
Transit Speed and Reliability
TSR@metrokc.gov

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 11-22-2004, 08:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 11-22-2004, 08:23 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: