Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
Poking along in the left lane? Prepare to pay

http://www.komonews.com/news/20656789.html

SEATTLE -- Even if you're going the speed limit it might not be enough to prevent you from getting a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the fast lane.

State troopers are on a mission to make sure the left lane on area freeways is used for its indented purpose: passing.

"We're doing 58, 59 miles an hour and they are just sitting there, traffic's passing them on the right hand side," Trooper Keith Leary said while pointing out a car in the left lane of Interstate 5. "That's exactly what we don't want to see happen."

The driver, Brasta Bonifcho, said he was surprised what he was doing was illegal.

"I didn't know that, I really didn't know that," he said. "I am guilty, no question about it."

Leary reminded Bonifcho that drivers need to stay in the right lanes unless they're passing another vehicle.

Everyone pulled over during Leary's patrol said they thought it wasn't a problem as long as they were going the speed limit. But the law says otherwise.

"It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic," the statute reads.

The reason for the law is to help keep traffic moving and to diffuse potential road rage situations.

"It just takes one thing to set them off," Leary said of frustrated drivers stuck behind slower moving vehicles. "If we can alleviate one of those things, maybe we can avoid an assault."

The State Patrol said several recent collisions caused by slow vehicles in the passing lane have prompted increased enforcement of the law along area interstates.

Drivers in the HOV lanes are exempt from the rule, but anyone else could be facing a $124 ticket.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

you know, I've been waiting for the State Patrol to do this for a long time, but now that it has happened, I can't help but think it's being done for all the wrong reasons. the SP has been using using any and all things in its arsenal to generate more revenue for the state, and I'm sure this is just more of the same

it's a shame, really, that when the SP does something right, it has to hang under such a dark cloud
Old 06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

It's a shame and a sham.
They really are on a revenue generating campaign since the last transportion levy faliures.

Those two laws contradict each other and the left lane issue could probably be beat but who wants to spend the time, effort and money. That's their thought!

So if you are holding up traffic while doing the 60mph speed limit in the left lane, then speed up to alieviate that situation, along comes Johnny Law to give you a speeding ticket, if you don't speed you get an impeeding traffic flow citation. Huh?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911s55 View Post
So if you are holding up traffic while doing the 60mph speed limit in the left lane, then speed up to alieviate that situation, along comes Johnny Law to give you a speeding ticket, if you don't speed you get an impeeding traffic flow citation. Huh?
the law states it is OKAY to exceed the speed limit (as necessary) when passing another vehicle. as soon as you've completed the pass, you're supposed to move back to the right lane.

you should not be 'holding up traffic while doing the 60mph speed limit in the left lane'. if you're doing 60 and you're not passing any cars, you are illegally camping the left lane and it's time to move to the right lane to alleviate the situation, not 'speed up to alieviate that situation'.

Last edited by nize; 06-23-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
the law states it is OKAY to exceed the speed limit (as necessary) when passing another vehicle. as soon as you've completed the pass, you're supposed to move back to the right lane.
Only on a 2 lane road w/ dashed yellow lines. Definitely not true for a divided, multiple lane highway.

I wish they could just advertise the laws without ticketing everybody.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
78 in a '71

Ronin & 911s55- Glass half empty?

Tom
1982 Volvo 245, 1996 Ford F-150
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

Quote:
It's a shame and a sham.
They really are on a revenue generating campaign since the last transportion levy faliures.

Those two laws contradict each other and the left lane issue could probably be beat but who wants to spend the time, effort and money. That's their thought!

unfortunately it doesn't work that way. the law expects the left-lane hogger to merge to the right in a legal way. in other words, if you cannot move right without holding your speed, then you need to slow down to merge

let it be said that I DO NOT condone left-lane hogging, but suddenly using a long-unenforced law for the sole purpose of generating more revenue is bogus
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossguy View Post
Ronin & 911s55- Glass half empty?

Tom
Not sure what you mean?

Either way, "the glass is to big"- George Carlin
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

ditto
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
maybe they can hold a car show to generate more revenue.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
78 in a '71

Quote:
Not sure what you mean?

Either way, "the glass is to big"- George Carlin
I was attempting to chide you both on your "Yes, but...." responses to what appears to me to be a positive happening.

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

"yes, but..." was about the last thing I said. if anything, I'm very consistent on my position. the bottom line is that no matter how apparently beneficent an act the state patrol performs (when it comes to traffic enforcement), it will for the foreseeable future be viewed as nothing more than another attempt at revenue generation
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
78 in a '71

OK

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
you know, I've been waiting for the State Patrol to do this for a long time, but now that it has happened, I can't help but think it's being done for all the wrong reasons. the SP has been using using any and all things in its arsenal to generate more revenue for the state, and I'm sure this is just more of the same

it's a shame, really, that when the SP does something right, it has to hang under such a dark cloud
You know, I can't help but think that no matter what the State Patrol did you would regard it as a bad thing. Perhaps you would prefer speed cameras all over the place? That's real revenue generation: no salaries, no patrol cars and no getting off with a warning.

Frankly, I can't see this being applied in more than a handful of cases - the first of which will doubtless be HIGHLY publicised with the aghast "victims" giving heart-breaking on camera interviews to stoke the fires of resent because hey, that gets ratings.

If they really want to address the traffic problems around here, they should start with all the morons who can't fricken merge to save their lives.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

To me it's not about those that are asked to enforce these ever mounting laws, it is the state legislature in it's nanny (to protect you) guise that is so two faced. More laws = more money.

The enforcement of this will be vague at best but it is the attempt at appearing to be doing something constuctive for us that bugs me.

If they want to help ease conjestion and possbly some of the angst that goes with it, let everyone use the HOV lanes, if you purchase fuel you're paying for them although they are restricted but to a chosen few, that's discriminating.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

No pokng or you get poked. On the one hand, I love that one of those self righteous (or at the very least, totally oblivious), rolling roadblocks got ticketed, but it smacks of being blatent revenue generation and in this case, blatent, self-serving PR.

that's just my take...I could be wrong
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i haven't seen/heard of anyone getting pulled over for this so far.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Too bad there isn't a hotline we can call with a plate # that would send a friendly reminder to these people. Something similar to the HOV violator hotline would be nice.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
No pokng or you get poked. On the one hand, I love that one of those self righteous (or at the very least, totally oblivious), rolling roadblocks got ticketed, but it smacks of being blatent revenue generation and in this case, blatent, self-serving PR.
bingo

Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: