Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

Riding a motorcycle on I-5 south of downtown in the rain.

No way man.

I saw a couple guys riding in the rain yesterday on I-5 south of downtown. Maybe I'm a newbie and a wuss to boot, but it seems like suicide. There are wide metal expansion joints that are slippery as hell when wet, the road surface is grooved and uneven, and the area around the west seattle bridge exit is like mad max land on a good day! I was in my Merc, and got off at Corson, which features aforementioned expansion joints on a tight curve. I could feel the back of car slipping a good 2 inches everytime I went over one.

Yowza!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
I ride to have fun. Rain is not fun, dark is not fun, and heavy traffic is not fun, so I don't do 'em...on purpose.

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Two weeks ago, coming back up 101 from Long Beach (WA), I came up behind a guy on a big 'ole BMW GS something. We sped up and started having fun, and for such a big bike that thing could haul balls. It was kind of funny seeing the suspension compress so far in the corners, then lift back up as he lumbered out of the corner and away from me. Only when the curves tightened up or it started raining did I gain an advantage... a slight one at that.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I agree, the bike is about to get parked for the winter commute and put the 911 back into daily service. I probably need better winter tires on it come to think of it. I've ridden those roads in the dry and they aren't great. 405 south of Bellevue is a crapshoot right now too with all of the work going on there. They've scraped off the top ashpalt surface and the stuff underneath is no fun. Be safe and have fun on that thing in good weather!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
I'v never had the desire for a street bike.........but I've owned 12 atv's/quads

trees don't pull out in font of you with .01 sceond notice like old ladies do....

typing with one hand in a cast sucks......your health your life. nope no street bike for me ever.

Wag more, bark less.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lambert View Post
I ride to have fun. Rain is not fun, dark is not fun, and heavy traffic is not fun, so I don't do 'em...on purpose.

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS
this has become my mantra. decades ago I rode everywhere. now I don't want to take the pleasure out of it, and therefore don't ride in the rain or even as a commute any longer. I ride for the sheer pleasure. why take the fun out of it and increase my risk to boot?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

There was a time (when I was in school, then starting my first "real" job) that all I owned was a motorcycle. I had to get everywhere I had to get on that damn thing. I still have it, for some reason...

Anyway, I ride for fun these days. I don't mind the rain, but I will typically not leave the house in it. Getting caught in it is one thing, or leaving for an extended trip in it. I just won't head out in it for fun.

I don't like commuting on one anymore either. I will on the odd day now and again, if I'm planning on riding after work or something. But to make a habit of it, in our traffic? Suicidal, IMHO. Commuting in the rain, in the dark, in our traffic? Russian Roulette with five chambers full and one empty. No way.

My worst motorcycle wreck was under just those conditions. Going to work in the rain, in the dark, a pickup truck cut in front of me and knocked my front wheel out from under me with his step bumper. I belly-flopped onto the highway at about 65 mph and the bike bounced back up, then slammed into the guardrail. All I could think about was all of those cars behind me, as I was skipping down the highway like a flat stone on water. Never again. One of those perspective-altering moments...
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I had to limp my Ducati home one day when I got caught in a sudden snow storm back in Pittsburgh. NOT FUN AT ALL! My legs propped out to either side probably looked like a set of training wheels!

Rich, I guess I didn't know you had a Duc too?
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 10-18-2008, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen View Post
I had to limp my Ducati home one day when I got caught in a sudden snow storm back in Pittsburgh. NOT FUN AT ALL! My legs propped out to either side probably looked like a set of training wheels!

Rich, I guess I didn't know you had a Duc too?

Shouldn't you be painting?

'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: