Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

FS: Quiet Riot Auto-sensing 2.5" OD Muffler Baffles

First $100 takes them

I had these baffles on my GT3-style muffler for about 100 miles total. They cost $170 new. These are auto-sensing, basically activating at high RPMs. In excellent condition. These will fit tips with a 2.5" OD. They will provide slight noise reduction (about 10-15%).

I would prefer a local sale but if I can't find a local taker, I will post in the national classified section. Cash only. PM if interested for fastest response. Thanks. Jim

• 2.360″ OD of baffles for 2-3/8″ ID pipes (2.50″ OD)
• Quiet-Riot Auto Sensing Exhaust Baffles (patent pending) are truly unique, offering noise reduction at idle and low cruising speeds, and the thundering roar and performance you want when you want it, PLUS midrange HP and torque improvement!
• New noise regulations in many states require lower sound levels from motorcycles: In many cities and states across the US, noise ordinances are in effect or are shortly going into effect that will limit how much noise your bike can produce
• Unique Auto-sensing baffles: All other baffles on the market are designed for ONE setting
• At higher RPMs they are too restrictive and rob power and sound. Slip-ons are offered that you can rotate a lever to change from quiet to loud, but you have to get off your bike, and what if you happen to get caught with your pipes open?
• Our baffles have an unique active element that moves in response to exhaust pressure to reduce restriction at higher RPMs
• Engineered for low db at idle and cruising: Quiet-Riot Auto Sensing Exhaust Baffles work with your existing exhaust to provide backpressure and noise reduction at lower RPM levels, but less restriction and more growl at higher RPMs
• These lower sound levels can help comply with local state or city ordinances (check your local noise regulations, RMP makes no claims of strict compliance, as state regulations and models of exhaust system varies)
• Improved Midrange Performance: Quiet-Riot Auto Sensing Exhaust Baffles improve both torque and horsepower in the midrange (the most useable part of the powerband) over straight pipes

Actual pic

Stock photo

Last edited by Busta Rib; 08-26-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did they not reduce the noise enough ? Send me a p.m.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

O.k., I kind of feel obligated to save someone a hundred bucks and some disappointment. These things are infamous in the Harley world - pure, unadulterated, snake oil bull sheet. They are, at best, paperweights or pencil holders (if you stack them). Save your money.
'93 Ducati 900 Super Sport
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 09-01-2017, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Since when is it OK to **** on another person's for sale ad? I stated these provide a slight reduction and was completely transparent. Not trying to sell anyone snake oil. It is subjective. One person might think they don't do anything, another might hear some difference. Any prospective buyer can choose how they want to interpret that. I wasn't asking for your opinion and definitely don't welcome it in this ad.

Unless you have data to prove your statement, it really isn't appropriate to piss on another person's ad. Show some proper etiquette. I would afford you or anyone else on this board the same respect. And I suspect you would expect the same, Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
O.k., I kind of feel obligated to save someone a hundred bucks and some disappointment. These things are infamous in the Harley world - pure, unadulterated, snake oil bull sheet. They are, at best, paperweights or pencil holders (if you stack them). Save your money.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but I have a lot of friends in this local P-car community. Normally I would stay the hell out and not say a word. I will not, however, sit idly by while one of them gets screwed over. Like I said, these things are infamous in the Harley world, a world in which I have been a very active participant for 40 years. There is no shortage of the data you seek available within that world; these things have been tested over and over again, with the same results. It's all over the internet if you care to do a cursory search. There have been many, many magazine articles written debunking their claims as well. Understanding that not many of my fellow local P-car enthusiasts would be aware of this situation, I felt obligated to bring it up. I'm sorry that you got sucked in by their hype and b.s. - that really stinks. I will not, however, keep my mouth shut and watch you pass off your misfortune onto anyone I consider a friend. You talk about etiquette and respect - passing off this kind of junk to some unsuspecting local Pelican demonstrates neither.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Jeff, besides insulting my reputation and implying I am intentional trying to deceive and rip people off, you are making a bold claim without any facts/data. Have you actually even heard these baffles before and after install on an actual muffler or are you simply spouting opinion based on what you have heard/read on the Internet like so many other so-called experts?

Please show me the data and I will shut up about this and take down my ad. Otherwise, GTFO out of my ad.

Seriously, please educate all of us. I actually did a cursory search and could not find one published test by an independent person/group/agency that supports your claim that these baffles do nothing and are simply "snake oil." Yes, there are a some negative posts and opinions, but no data.

BTW, opinions are NOT data.

Like I said, there is a slight decrease in noise from these baffles. On a loud muffler/system, it is almost imperceptible and yes, probably not worth it. I've heard Harley exhausts and I don't think these would do much on those bikes. But they do work, despite your biased opinion.

But don't take my word for it. For every negative opinion, you can also find others that would disagree with you, like I do. Perhaps you can give people the benefit of the doubt that they can do their own research and make up their own minds/opinions. But I applaud your desire to "protect" your Porsche brothers and community.

"Installed the baffles.... and they do decrease the volume, not by much though. If I had to put a number on it... like 10-15% decrease in volume under 3k rpm. The exhaust note remains the same, throaty. The best thing about the baffles is I got my torque back and very noticeable at that. Overall, Im pretty happy with the setup." (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/784602-just-about-finished-with-the-refresh-5.html#post11284202)

"Anyone out there happen to be running these? Just installed them in a 2in2out m&k. Drone/resonance is gone, although it was never that bad to begin with, low- mid torque seems slightly increased. Wide open, still undetermined. Overall moderately happy with them." (Quiet Riot baffles)

"I have their baffles in my true duals. They do work, but don't know if you stay within the law ... supposed to shave about 10 decibels off the volume." (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/617206-quiet-riot-baffle.html#post8029080)

"Just wanted to give a good word for Rocky Mountain Performance, and these baffles. A few months ago I installed them in a set of Cobras that I have on my 2016 Vaquero, and they definitely took the edge off as well as deepened the exhaust note a bit. Very cool product, nice quality. I would buy them again in the future without hesitation..." (Quiet-Riot auto-sensing exhaust baffles | Indian Motorcycle Forum)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As my near teenager son would say: Stop it, Get some help!

You two are my friends and both good people. Half-truth be told, I'm guessing Jeff was probably thinking of me as he is well aware of my porsche parts paperweight collection, eh Jeff. I sneeze and a hundred bucks flies out the door. We are all men on these forums (haven't met any women yet here, why is that? Oh, right, go to craigslist for that...not gonna do that again..nevermind....) and can research, use our resources (like each other) and decide what we buy or not buy.

For my sake and yours, I want you to kiss and make up. But I'll deliver the kisses, next Tuesday for you Jeff and next Wednesday for you Jim!

Lets now Porsche on and be safe.

Ravi
Old 09-08-2017, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I was in no way attacking anyone personally. I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm attacking a bad product. You clearly bought them because you were unaware of the problems associated with them - that is not a reflection on you, it is a reflection on their advertising and internet hype. In the motorcycle world, these are already assuming their position right next to Slick 50, cool collars, and the like. And yes, I do know a few people who ran them on their motorcycles. These killed top end performance and made them difficult to tune in all cases. I know of at least one set that is now resting at the bottom of the Snoqualmie river...

Notice that all of your information discusses sound quality, something near and dear to every Harley rider. Nothing addresses performance, other than to say they feel like they provide more mid-range torque. In open drag pipes on Harleys, they will indeed do that, but only because open drag pipes absolutely destroy mid-range torque. Open drag pipes are the worst exhaust one can run on these motors, and these baffles are only a band-aid on an inherently bad system. Stock exhaust systems on Harleys make more power than open drag pipes. Which leads to the next point...

No one discusses, or even really cares about, how these kill top end power on Harleys. Everyone talks about "sound" and "feel", in the absence of hard numbers from a dyno. Well, Porsche owners do care about top end power. These things work by progressively restricting exhaust opening with increasing pressure and volume of flow, right where we want maximum flow.

So, again, nothing personal. You bought a bad product, ill-suited for use on our cars. It happens to the best of us. I just saw your ad and bristled, thinking "oh jeezus, not here too...". At best, these belong stuffed up the ass ends of already lumbering, slow motorcycles, ridden by, well, lumbering, slow motorcyclists. Or at the bottom of the Snoqualmie river...
Old 09-10-2017, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: