Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help Cutting Off the Inner Fender!

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1972 911T and as you can see it has a nasty weld job with a front date. I'm backdating my front date.

I have sourced two original inner fenders and I'm ready to start cutting. I have purchased a laser to assist... So, now for the scary part.

It will be tricky, as I will have to line up the cut line on the current fender and then on the donor fender so they match perfectly. Then I have to cut a line as straight as possible. The inside seems like it will be tricky as well, considering the extra inner well supports and around the tank supports and pan areas. A side note, I will be replacing the pan and tank supports as well.

When looking at the pics my current plan is to cut along the vertical laser line in front of the shock tower area and try to line it up repeatably by determining some reference points, that is the problem.

So, here are the questions...

1. How can I make sure my cuts line up on both fenders exactly, I believe I need at least two reference points. The donor inner fender is full length from front latch panel to past the door jamb.

2. What tools do you recommend for the cutting? I want as clean of cuts as possible.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold

Last edited by Rodney Nelson; 06-24-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Old 06-23-2018, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would do it in sections.
Since you are also replacing the pan/supports, I would start from the floor up and first establish a perfectly level and symmetrical floor pan with the suspension pick ups(borrow a jig if you have to). Then, locate and true the front latch panel, and see how well it lines up with the previous work(more than likely it wont). and only then graft the inner fender pieces onto the floor and latch panel. For that I would make a locating jig as well, based on known dimensions(fender holes, etc). then, cut your existing inner fenders out(one at a time), make a rough cut on the donor piece an inch or two bigger than the piece you cut out, locate it on the jig you made, then mark for the exact cut. This way you will not compound problems on a possibly already tweaked/misaligned front end.
A small die or angle grinder with the thinnest wheel you can find will give you a nice cut.

Hope this helps
Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here's a great example of the required jigs from RD.
https://youtu.be/1Li9mWNiXHs
Old 06-25-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: