Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

it takes time to fit replacement parts it takes even more time when it comes to having to fit FG parts.
the things i have had to do to get FG/ composite parts to fit would make your head spin.
the 1st thing always you have to do is get the hood to cowl centered and height right with the proper gap.
then the real fun begins.
if the hood is sitting higher then the cowl you have to place a shim or two between the hood and the hinge on the rear hinge to hood bolt. shimming the rear bolt will lower the hood. no shims and the hoods will tend to sit high. in many cases i have even had to cut out the hood mounts and lower them then fg them back on.
the best is when i was asked how much to install a new FG or carbon hood on my car.
you give them a starting price and say from there it's time and materials they get the bill and they crap them selfs. that's when they start to say the manufacture said they bolt right on.
the next time i get some one asking me about installing one i will have them read your posting.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I think I would have been one of those people.

I didn’t imagine for a minute, that it would take so much effort to fit the front end to a standard I am happy with.

I’m going back out again today, to get the inner fender uprights set for the grp panels (I’ve realized that the drivers side upright is pushing out the bottom sill area connect). I still have the passenger side to sort out and think I’ll be doing some GRP heating to mold the shape closer to the cars.

I don’t think this challenge has anything to do with the quality of the panels. I’m very happy with that and rightly so - I bought the best I could find after research (Getty). The problems seem to lay in the variability of these cars and now realize that the work done on the car in the past (minor rust repair) has had a significant effect on being able to get the panels to fit.

Thanks so much for the help and advice.
Munky
Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
petercory

Garage
I went through the process in fitting an aftermarket 935 Rear Decklid, am OEM Ruf front bumper and an aftermarket rear bumper, none of them fit properly, they fit perfectly now after 25 - 30 hours of work on each!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

...and Iím still struggling with the fender fitting.
After I managed to get it all lined up at the:
Hood
Front bumper
Windshield scuttle
Height correct with Hood and windshield scuttle
Door edge

I noticed that the wrap around at the bottom of the door sill was lower than the door sill itself by about 1/3Ē.

Damn. Letís try this again.

Soooo (can you tell this is getting frustrating) take it all off again and force the lower sill edge to be in alignment with the bottom of the sill.

Now, no surprise, the height at the windshield skuttle is out.

So I got the hot air gun out, warmed the grp while pushing down on the fender area where it sits at the top of the door.

After 20 mins of careful warming and cooling, I step back and realize that doing this has made the radius around the door line flatter and now has a horrible uneven gap at the apex of the radius.

Time to step away from the power tools.

I think I need to carefully bend the upper part back again and see if there is an angle I can fit the panel at, which will essentially reduce this height.

Failing that, put it back as it was and do some grp surgery at the bottom sill area. Unfortunately it is in a T section where the upright also bolts up.
Grrrr.

Probably 22hrs into this now and Iím still not happy with it!

I donít know how you guys do it. I had to just walk away in the end and Iíll come back to it another day...
Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: