Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Pros & Cons of Bonding a Parcel Shelf

Without getting into lengthy detail, I face a situation in which the most favourable option would be to use an automotive grade epoxy adhesive
to affix a new repro panel in place to complete a parcel shelf repair as opposed to a conventional welding procedure.

Is this a move that is strictly verboten or does it fall within acceptable norms given this particular situation & application?

Are there any unforeseen future problems I am unaware of?

I need some opinions (pro & con) & advice please. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
JB
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

panel bonding adhesives do work and for the most part are pretty good.
how ever you still have to place a weld on the corners to insure proper installation.
they state they are not made for structural purposes but you can use them on things like a qtr panel because of this you should be able to use it on the parcel shelf also.

i will admit i have used bonding adhesives many times even on things that maybe a little iffy to use them on.
lately i have been restoring a lot of bugeye sprites one after another.
a customer wanted his to be as light as possible so one way to lose weight was for me to make some of it's panels out of aluminum but you can't really weld aluminum to steel so i bonded the things like the floors , cowl , rear boot in with adhesive.
the starting weight of the totally bare rolling chassis ( with out motor or trans) was 826 LBS
after the weight was 604 LBS.
because i couldn't weld i used brass pop rivets on each corner.

the pros are time savings for adhesives the cons are you have to make dam sure the panels fit 100% right to get a good proper bonding of the two panels.
with welding you can tap the metal tight together as your welding but this doesn't work with bonding adhesives. so you have to spend time making it fit tight right from the start.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Thanks for your input 962 - very much appreciated.
Cheers
JB
Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: