Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Leather mold buildup removal and upkeep

Hello All, been wet here in the north east and my leather interior on my 3.2 is taking a beating with mold attack. I have read white vinegar is a good tool for removal. Anyone have some guidance on removing molding how to keep it off?

Thanks, Dave
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera
2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you too the white leather interior of my countach was covered in it. not seeing the car for months i crapped my self when i saw it last week.
i used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water to clean it.
1st i wiped every thing using a bunch of clean dry micro fiber rags then mixed the water and vinegar into a a spray bottle. and sprayed it onto a micro fiber rag and started wiping and wiping and more wiping. again i kept changing the micro fiber rags wiped it on and wiped it off with a dry rag doing little areas at a time. it was on everything and took me all days to just clean the inside of the car. i left the doors open and the next day i got some leather saddle cleaner / conditioner and cleaned every thing again with the saddle cleaner/conditioner . again it took me all day to clean it again. over both nights i setup a box fan and let it run all night blowing into the car.
it came out really nice but had the smell of mildew so i pulled the seats and clean the carpet.
i vacuumed the hell out of them and the floor mats sprayed them with a carpet cleaner and vacuumed them again. this got rid of the smell and again set up the box fan and let it blow in the car over night. i have been putting the car out in the sun for the last few days with the doors open to keep airing it out and everything is good now.
i had the car covered with the windows closed up all summer in my old shop. i won't do that again!
now when the car is just sitting i will still cover the car but leave the windows open and will cover the seats and dash with some masking paper to soak up any moisture.
i think the biggest thing to prevent it from happening again is to drive the car more and just put it out in the sun when ever i can.
i store a lot of my cars in my old shop and this is the only one to have this happen to. i will also not park it were it was.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Use an ozone generator. Kills the mold and the smell. Gets to all the places that you can’t clean by hand.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Using a steam cleaner also works. Whatever method you use, don't forget to wear a mask because you don't want those molds to get into your lungs.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mold spores are present everywhere and you can not kill it. You can eliminate it on a surface as 962 did. But it is still present and the spores will come back.

Mold needs four things in order to grow. A food, moisture, warmth and oxygen. Remove any one of the four and the mold will not grow. In this case the food source is the leather. There are other food sources present in cars as well. carpeting, door cards, sound deadening, paper items in the glove box, etc.. Any organic material. We know we can not remove those things so we need to remove one of the others.

Oxygen will be hard to remove with out placing the car in a vacuum sealed bag.

You could regulate the heat but the easiest to regulate is the moisture/humidity. A simple air conditioner or dehumidifier will do the trick. An air conditioner is a dehumidifier. Regulating the moisture/humidity will also help regulate the heat. Removing or regulating the moisture will also help with rust and wire corrosion.

Last edited by drcoastline; 11-27-2018 at 03:53 AM..
Old 11-27-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: