Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Polish single stage metallic paint

Hi all,
Here to ask for experts advice about polishing a SINGLE stage Metallic paint of my 911 (gemini metallic blue)
Paint has some swirls and oxidation.

I'd like to use a dual action polisher but i'm new to single stage paints cause i generally polish modern paint (base coat + clear coat).

Reading on i see that there are a lot of bad results on polishing single stage metallic because often metal flakes became exposed to the ambient air and them oxidizes or worst-case they break away from paint turning paint from metallic to strange pastel colors

Can you please suggest tested products and pads? Or tips and tricks?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

using a random orbital type polisher would be best in your case dealing with a single stage metallic finish.
being the metallic's used in paints are none ferrous metals they should not oxidizes any more then they do now with a single stage metallic finish. they are always exposed to the atmosphere.

with metallic's in a single stage they will float to the top of the finish when they are sprayed/ painted so buffing it will remove some and lesson the amount of metallic's your seeing.
how ever a good cleaning glaze ( not a compounding) will reduce this happening.

this is off the top of my head so the codes maybe wrong
86 ,086 ,8610 ,330 , 335 and for the 914 L96E gemini blue met. are all base clear colors from the factory. porsche started clearing there metallic colors in the mid 60's if i remember right the 86 color line came on late 70 for the 71 model cars and ran to 1968 and you will see some of the early 69 cars with these codes.
so have you tested a small area to see if in fact your dealing with a single stage color?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you a million for your reply...
You gave me lot of helpful informations.

Yes... I already tested the paintwork and it's a single stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
how ever a good cleaning glaze ( not a compounding) will reduce this happening.
Can you please explain?
Are you suggesting to just use a finishing polish without compounding and then glazing or just glazing?
Can you please suggest a glaze? I usually use Wolfs glaze with good results... Is it ok?
Also... Which pads do you suggest?

Thank you again

EDIT: paint has just some swirls and shows light oxidation. The target of this project is maintenance more than restoration because paintwork seems in a global good condition

Last edited by fizeus; 08-22-2018 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i can only guess on how much oxidation your dealing with but my guess would be to use a product like Presta ultra polish with there blue foam pad.
it for cleaning and removes minor surface imperfections and oxidation.
i use presta products for a few reasons the 1st is it has no silicone or waxes in it so the shin you get is not a faults shin what will wash away after you wash the car once or twice.
2nd is any product you get in the jams and gaps from buffing will wash out and clean up quickly.
3rd is having no wax if you have to go and touch up any chips after your done polishing you can do so with out any problems with your touch up not fish eyeing.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
ok... thank you for the explanation.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: