Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for a paint recommendation (930 Turbo)- Austin area

I recently had to get some paint work done because my neighbor backed into my car and dented the door. I took it to a 'reputable' shop and they painted the door, front left fender and hood. I had them to the hood because there was a dent that we couldn't pop and this was the best way to fix it.

But, I got it back and the paint doesn't match at all. It's an '86 Guards Red 930 Turbo. He's blaming it on the fact that the other paint is faded, which very well may be the case. Although, it doesn't even match the inside of the door jam which would have no reason to be faded. Maybe the guards red formula has changed over the years or there is a difference between single stage and what is available now- I don't know.

He wasn't interested in trying to match the paint or do any custom mixing. I think my best option now is to find a good shop that will take the time to try to match what is on the car and repaint those portions that I just had done. The alternative is to respray the whole car which isn't optimal.

Long story short, does anybody know of any good shops around the Austin area? It needs to be a shop that does these older cars. The 'best' paint shop in town doesn't touch anything old.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or tips. I just got the car back from a full paint correction- polish, etc, hoping it would help w/ the match. It helped some but it's still painfully obvious that it doesn't match.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here is an image of the door. The hood/fender are a little worse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pge95pwpgr7l1u/post-correction.jpeg?dl=0
Old 08-24-2018, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I may have missed it, but where are you located? It is hard for one to make a shop recommendation otherwise. BTW, I completely agree that color "match" is horrible. Good luck with getting that sorted correctly.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 08-25-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Precision Auto Body. A fellow Pelican used them with great result on a difficult color. They are not the fastest, however.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try to contact Berlis Shop in Pflugerville. I've heard great things about them.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Jeff's Resurrections in Taylor. Won't be cheap. Will be right.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had some guards red matched on my 89 944 and it was a perfect match. Got to shop around.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: