Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Door adjustment help

Iíve been clipping away at rust repair on my Ď81 rally project and Iím just getting past the rust mitigation stage. Iíve replaced the kidney bowls and lock post on both sides and am just starting to try and get decent gaps. The lower rear corner of my door is pretty tight with one shim in both the top and bottom hinges, but it looks like it needs a bit more room. Granted, this will be a race car, Iíd still like it right. Any advice would be helpful. Also need to do a bit of panel work on the rocker to get rid of some oil canning that popped up after welding.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if it was me … I would take a thin die grinder and what looks like might be the 11/2 " long spot that is tight. Cut the quarter panel along the edge of the quarter panel on the q panel side by 1/16 " or so.... with body hammer close the opening made by the grinder so that you now have the proper gap... I assume the back side of q panel clean … Find a piece of copper, pluming fixture or any thing copper.... when you weld the cut you made just go very slow making tiny spot welds with the copper being used as a back up so that the wire does not burn thru leaving a bigger hole… The copper works to help prevent blow thru and also a heat sink for distortion …. do one spot weld at a time allowing the panel to cool... you will be surprised how little it will distort if you take your time...
Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

so if you don't know poesche's door gaps to the QTR panel are smaller at the bottom and more open at the top. this is how they should be and are done that way for a reason.

you have a few options on how to open the gap.
1st get the gap on the bottom of the door to the rocker where it needs to be and also set the for and aft. the leading edge of the door should be lined up with the step in the rocker for the fender.
once you have that set right and you find the rear gap is still off you can do what Bob said that is one way to open the gap if needed.
your other option is the grind the doors edge to the needed gap then weld the edge back up.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

like on this camaro's trunk lid you fit the panel as best as it can be then scribe the lines for your gaps on the lid.
you grind it back to the line and weld up the edge.
just like welding anything take your time to eliminate distortion.
because your now dealing with multi layers with the skin and the shell this area offers more strength then a single layer of say the QTR panel it's self.
once your down with your welding and are happy with the new gap you should be able to just dress in the area with a grinder and sander with out the need of any filler having to be used.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to dig in this weekend and report back.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,
I've just completed this alignment process on my ill fitting panels. I used the edge weld method and lead filler method on the leading edge. The rocker was previously damaged on my car, so I had to adjust and fill that to line up also. All my work is documented on youtube. Here's the playlist for panel alignment:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uaXHfOgDLGrDqW
Hope that helps you out.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: