Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
KYUKYU3

Garage
noob question about body work on metal panels

Learned a lot refurbishing/refinishing my bumper cover, as well as prepping a stratton fiberglass duck for paint. My local finishmaster has been a great to me showing me how do things right and showing me the right products to use for each step of the jobs. I now have more courage to move on to my hood, driver fender, and driver door which need to be resprayed as the original paint is chipped to hell on the hood, fender has some clear coat burn/failure, and the door has a dent that can't be repaired perfectly by PDR and a few deep scratches to the primer. I feel more comfortable working with 2k primer/sprayer and the evercoat poly fill/glaze, so was thinking I could do some of the prep/body work along with disassembling/removing components to save on a partial respray job.

I went to a few shops to get their "opinion". One shop is a Azko Sikkens one and the other is a BASF Glasurit one.

They both agreed that the panels need some work to remove the imperfections.

For the hood, I heard they would take down paint as much as they can to remove the chips, prime, and respray. On the door, again retain the factory paint and they would try to try to work the waves where the dent is and then glaze/fill, prime and respray.

The other shop said they would strip it down to bare metal and pretty much do the same thing.

My car is a 97 993 with original 2 stage Glasurit water based paint if that helps at all.

Wondering if I should just let them do the work, or this is something to tackle. If I tackle it then what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by samurai_k; 09-08-2018 at 11:18 PM..
Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would disassemble as much as you can to allow them to do the repair and paint work easily. If the rest of the 993 is in great condition, let them do the paint work.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did your bumper cover turn out with a perfect color match and texture? If yes, congratulations… Assuming it is a metallic color, the hood is going to be challenging because of its size and the need to keep the base color consistent, zebra stipe and unevenness of color, etc. I am not saying you cant do this, just that it will be challenging. best not to use the polly glaze putty. for filling use the rage filler. other than that use what your local finish master suggest.

cairo94507 has a point.... you will be done, and it will look fine if you farm it out..... if you do it your self you will feel great about it and have a fist full of dollars..... good luck
Old 09-09-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrestore View Post
Did your bumper cover turn out with a perfect color match and texture? If yes, congratulations… Assuming it is a metallic color, the hood is going to be challenging because of its size and the need to keep the base color consistent, zebra stipe and unevenness of color, etc. I am not saying you cant do this, just that it will be challenging. best not to use the polly glaze putty. for filling use the rage filler. other than that use what your local finish master suggest.

cairo94507 has a point.... you will be done, and it will look fine if you farm it out..... if you do it your self you will feel great about it and have a fist full of dollars..... good luck
The bumper refurb job was a royal PIA, but learned a lot. Came out perfect. I haven't sent it to the painter yet as I have a few more plastic/composite pieces I am prepping.

In regards to the body panels, I am leaning toward letting my body shop do it. I would at a minimum do the disassembly and reassembly. Trying to save as I noticed the prep work to get the surfaces clean, removing the imperfections/filling, and blocking is just patience and time... hence my original question am I going to get over my head and waste time?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: