Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Body work vs epoxy primer - the order

I am currently working towards painting my 72. Its been almost 15 years since I last painted the car. There are a few areas that need minor attention.

What is the current best practice in regards to a skim coat of filler?

Bare metal > epoxy > filler > poiyester primer > block sand/guide coats

OR

Bare metal > filler > epoxy > Polyester primer > block sand/guide coats

Thanks.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Either way is fine, it's one of those personal preference things.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

get your metal work as perfect as possible, do your filler work as best as possible … don't skip to priming thinking the primer will "take care of it". You will find that when you use the filler skimming a large complete area is best for sanding out.... if you have an area of filler and then put another layer on or adjacent the previous layer , the sanding property's are different transitioning from one application to the next.....
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

either way works.
personally with most jobs i will do bare metal, one thin coat of epoxy , body filler , then another thin coat of epoxy just on the bare metal from sanding , then my filler primer , guide coat block if needed i will filler prime again guide coat then block again for sealer and top coating.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I disassembled my car short of removing the glass, prepping it for paint. Pulling off the tops of the doors and things that poke through the deck lids revealed minor rust around those holes, like chips down to the metal. 'Got some rust converter, primer and some kind of filler to address those areas. Am I on the right track? Sand first? Convert and then fill, prime and block?

In taking the car apart I also noticed, due to it's body work (had fenders switched out) it is a Frankenstein car, made with red and blue pieces (original was metallic brown changed to white). I feel like stripping the color/texture off the backsides of these pieces (bumper and "running boards") and retexturing/priming/painting grey or black before turning over the car to my painter. Is ok?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: