Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cross post - 79 911 front suspension mount damage

**I started this in the 911 Technical Forum but was advised I cross post here to get the attention of some of the masters**

Just prepping my old 911 to get it back on the road after a 15 year break while I moved countries, got married, had kids, renovated houses etc etc. It's a 1979 SC Targa which I have owned for about 25 years, buying it a few years out of college. Car is pretty straight, rust free, dry stored and regularly started while laid up. In the course of going over it replacing suspension bushes, hoses, brakes and anything else that had aged in preparation for getting it back on the road I noticed a problem with the front suspension. Closer inspection shows that at some time before I bought it the car has taken quite an impact through the front right suspension, enough to put a rip in the forward suspension mounting that secures the crossmember and move it backwards about 10mm. Now this car drove straight as a die and handled very sharply - I even did a few track days with it! Alloy crossmember is twisted, front strut is toast, and although I can't see anything wrong with the A arm I will replace it as a matter of course. The suspension mount (90150136001GRV) is available from our host. I'm keen to hear from someone who has been there, done that but I guess the way forward is to drill out (not through) the dozen or so spot welds securing the mount and grind through the weld securing the end of the spike. I planned to align the new part using the datum measurements from the Porsche 911 Purchase & Resto book by Lindsay Porter & Peter Morgan. Once aligned I planned to hold it in place with a couple of tack welds or rivets before doing a dry re-assembly of the front suspension cross member and A arms to make sure everything lines up and moves freely. I'm not really much of a welder so would probably get the local mobile welder out to finish it off before prepping it for painting and final assembly. If anyone has any advice or tales of woe about this approach then I'd love to hear about it.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

I would think about putting the chassis on a bench.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: