Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mechanical prep for sympathetic respray

What can I do as a moderately skilled wrench to get an 87 Targa ready for a windows out repaint?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Roke, that's a wide-open question with many possible answers. I guess we could start like this:
- the quality of the repaint will be proportional to the amount/level of the prep work;
- the more a car is disassembled, the better chance for a job without nasty-looking masking and incomplete prep and paint application.
In my view, the 911 is readily disassembled but you need to be patient and organized. If you remove F&R bumpers, rocker cladding, lamps etc., you get a better job than simply leaving them in situ and having them masked.
Top level jobs (see the Blackhawk Rack thread, for example) take the car even further apart...fenders, lids, doors.
All depends on your expectations and budget. If you have a place to work on the car, basic tools, safe space to store the parts you removed and again once they come back from the paint shop (to reassemble), and are patient and quality-oriented, then you can add significant value and quality to your paint job. Look at how pro's work and see what you can emulate. Importantly, talk to shops who might do the paint and ask them the same questions.
I hope that helps.
John in CT.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you, yes extremely helpful! Iím going to assume that most if not all of the body molding & seals will need to be replaced. I know the windshield and the rear Targa glass and cover need to be removed. Not sure about the door glass, but thinking wing window and door glass come out too. Iíll check out the other thread you mentioned.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Check out the projects done by this excellent shop in Ireland, Classic Carreras.

Classic Carreras

You'll get some good ideas as to how a good shop takes a 911 apart for body refinishing.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Excellent! I knew I would get some helpful advice here!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Check out the projects done by this excellent shop in Ireland, Classic Carreras.

Classic Carreras

You'll get some good ideas as to how a good shop takes a 911 apart for body refinishing.
Just checked out the shop in Ireland! WOW.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: