Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'74 or newer 911 doors go on 1973?

I have a 1973 911t, and found out the bottom passenger of the door is totally rusted out- I am rather reluctant to purchase aftermarket Dansk or other doors mfg unless its OEM Porsche- However, doors for 73' cost major $$, and takes months to order and arrive from factory.

My question is to this forum- have any of you installed doors from a later year 911sc or late model 70s or 80's 911 on a 1973 or earlier model?

My passenger door does not have a mirror - and it has the newer style trigger door handles.

I have been told that any year after 1974 would work- but there would be some modifications needed to make the interior door panels work.

I am having a hard time sourcing original porsche doors - has any of you run into this similar situation? Any pointers suggestions or previous threads on this topic would be greatly appreciate. Ive attached original picture of door that needs to be replaced for reference.

07 Cayenne S
Old 03-28-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I put an SC door on my 73

Bolted right on
Only differences were:
1) mirror location ( I welded it up)
2) the chrome window frame did not bolt right in at the rear but not difficult to adapt
3) the later door came with a side intrusion bar as s nice bonus
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thats cool- for 73- i dont have a mirror in the passenger side- and I dont know if that that is period correct or not? do you ? To have a mirror on passenger and driver side?

What is a side intrusion bar ? Is that a safety precuation?
07 Cayenne S
Old 03-28-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No I have no passenger side mirror.

Most cars of that era did not have a passenger side mirror. You had a matter either side of the driver

Essentially, the inside rear view mirror was your right, and the drivers side mirror was you left.
Side intrusion bar was to meet new safety regulations. It runs the length of the door inside the cavity about midway down.
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've got a related question. I have a '66 Karmann body 912. A few years ago I was at an open-house at Gary Emory's shop in McMinnville, Oregon and bought a used passenger door from him, pre-crash bar so still a fairly early door. The door that came on the car (Original, I believe, as I've had the car since 1970) has rusted out at the bottom, and this new-to-me door looked like a good prospect as a donor.

But when I went to fit it to my car, the new(er) door seemed to be short by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. That is to say, the hinges bolted right up, but there was a 1/4 to 1./2 inch gap between the door and the latch panel. So much gap that the latch would not even engage.

Anybody have an idea of why this door could have been so much shorter than the opening?
I patched up the original door and reinstalled it, have the replacement door still in storage...

thanks!
Adam912.Out.
'66 912, 495K miles, 2.2 Liter Type 4 motor, S suspension.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a good pair of doors from an '83 I'd part with.........Complete with power windows, mirrors, panels, etc.........Located in WA state........
1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles
Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reed View Post
I've got a related question. I have a '66 Karmann body 912. A few years ago I was at an open-house at Gary Emory's shop in McMinnville, Oregon and bought a used passenger door from him, pre-crash bar so still a fairly early door. The door that came on the car (Original, I believe, as I've had the car since 1970) has rusted out at the bottom, and this new-to-me door looked like a good prospect as a donor.

But when I went to fit it to my car, the new(er) door seemed to be short by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. That is to say, the hinges bolted right up, but there was a 1/4 to 1./2 inch gap between the door and the latch panel. So much gap that the latch would not even engage.

Anybody have an idea of why this door could have been so much shorter than the opening?
I patched up the original door and reinstalled it, have the replacement door still in storage...

thanks!
Adam912.Out.
'66 912, 495K miles, 2.2 Liter Type 4 motor, S suspension.
I wonder if it is a change as part of going from short wheel base to long wheel base?
I forget which year that happened but I think your 912 is a short wheelbase car isn't it?

Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
73 911 doors , 911sc doors