Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
remove or not the Door window glass (78 targa) for paint

So, I've removed everything for painting except for the door window glass.

It is not very obvious on the process and I can find no pictures of the rollers and how they might come free of the channels in the regulator to free the glass.

Is it typical to remove the window glass for a same as original color?
Car will be brought down to metal on the exterior. Interior can stay untouched.

So can the glass stay for this effort, or should I go the extra to remove it?

Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Take a look at the link below if you decide on removing the glass for some tips that should help you out.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/79-Glass_Removal/79-Glass_Removal.htm
Old 05-03-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Take a look at the link below if you decide on removing the glass for some tips that should help you out.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/79-Glass_Removal/79-Glass_Removal.htm
Thanks,

This relates to the glass I have already removed, but not the door window glass.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That's an interesting question Mike. I thought it'd be brilliant to get the window completely down, leave it installed, and paint the door. Then I realized the forward track for the window would remain installed if the window is there.

... Begs the question of whether you want to paint the door around the forward window track or not?

Pics of what's in an '80 Targa's door.

Everything's here but for the glass and wiring.

Forward window track. With this removed, is good time to replace the top rubber piece...

Window motor gaskets tend to shrink. When they do they can pull into the case leaving a gap between the case and cover. That gap allows the gearbox to dry out. Great time to check the gearbox.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Karl,

Wow, very timely and great photos. I’ve taken all the goodies you’ve pictured out of my doors.
Top rubber on drivers side done about 5 years ago? I need to check state of pass side. It’s been done about 15 years back. Targa requires a lil extra love (sometimes cussing too).

The hint on the motors is great.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Will share pics of window motor here if I don’t get too bogged down with the engine (the one with 1-6 cyl) rebuild (can’t believe I’m saying this LOL).

Last edited by mike sampsel; 05-26-2019 at 04:41 AM..
Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Karl,

Any advice on the front channel rubber (correct name escapes me) which goes in the groove?
Seems mine fits a bit tight, (new five years back) making window slow? Might be other things though. I know it stops a bit before top, then goes up after I open the door. This screams for adjustment.

Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: