Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newly Painted - what to do?

I've got my 1978 930 painted professionally 2 months ago.
All glass out, sanded to bare metal.
The quality of paintjob is the best I've ever seen. This does not tell much perhaps, but two reputable paintshops confirm that the work is of outstanding quality.

I would like to preserve the great looks of my car for as long as possible. I live in BC Canada (the climate like PNW), the car is garaged but I use it frequently in good weather and long trips too.

Should I:
- Do nothing, just wash as needed,
- Wax it on occasion,
- Have it ceramic coated, or
- My son insists I should just apply Waxandshine Aquaboost which is SiO2 sealant
easy to apply DIY (just spray on and flush with water). Good for 6 months.
- Get a paint protection film (Clear Bra)?

Or do something which I've never heard about?
I would really appreciate an informed advice, guys.
Thank you.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Ask your painter what he suggests.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Wax, ceramics os SiO2 sealant can only partially prevent paint damages.
If you paint is new use clearbra because it's the only way to mitigate paint rock chips.
If you are not worried by rock chips use SiO2 layered with carnauba wax.
Before applying anything on paint you have to de contaminate paint.
Clear bra requires a professional to be applied.
Edit: personally I choosed SiO2 sealant and layered with an hard wax... But my paint is original and my detailer suggested me to not use clearbra because it can cause ckraks on older paints if removed.

Last edited by fizeus; 07-17-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with the clear bra recommendation. As for the ceramic coatings and such, I have never used them yet. I always just keep a good coat of wax on my cars and they seem to do quite well.

My 914-6 is almost done after a complete restoration and paint. I intend to talk to the painter about the best way to keep the paint as nice as possible. Good luck.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 07-18-2019, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd rather suggest consulting professional, commercial-grade painting equipment*and instruments are essential. We*will ensure you'll be pleased with the outcomes as your car drops off to auto body shops for service.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

we take our Ferrari to the track and street drive the hell out of it.
when we got the car new i bought a clear bar kit for it and installed it my self. if it's going to be your 1st time doing one it's best to have someone that has done them before do it for you.
other then that i keep the car clean and just simply wax it. all that protective coating crap is just that crap.
we drive our car in all types of weather and a few times even in the snow.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post

we take our Ferrari to the track and street drive the hell out of it.
when we got the car new i bought a clear bar kit for it and installed it my self. if it's going to be your 1st time doing one it's best to have someone that has done them before do it for you.
other then that i keep the car clean and just simply wax it. all that protective coating crap is just that crap.
we drive our car in all types of weather and a few times even in the snow.
I agree with you.
Clear Bra is a mechanical protection layer and is very good to protect paintwork against mechanical injuries like rock or street debris particularly dangerous if you are driving behind a rear-wheel driven car.
But clearbra hates to age and sometimes fade to yellow... Like any clear coat and here comes the usefulness of sealants (wax, SiO2, or ceramics).
It's hard to apply clearbra? Well I think it definitely relies on your skill and patience.... And it seems you have both... Probably an unexperienced user will have best results paying a professional to do the work.
Anyway youtube is full of videos on clearbra tutorials

Last edited by fizeus; 07-23-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

with a clear bar you can replace them. our car is a few years old now and in no way will i leave it on for the life of the car or more then a few more years before i remove it and replace it.
they peal off pretty easy with a heat lamp like you use for autobody.
this kit came with the pieces for the front bumper tops of the front fenders mirrors hood and in front of the rear wheels.
it was all precut and cost me about 1900$ US but you get what you pay for.
installing it was pretty easy but i have done countless clear bars on cars over the years.
when you install it you spray down vinyl slip solution this lets you move it around and makes it not stick to the panel. once you have it were you ant the clear bar to be you lift half of it and spray down another mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol this drys the slip solution and makes the adhesive stick to the panels. you can just use the slip solution but i don't tend to do it that way unless it's a very small area.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Choose your best design and than paint it.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
Ask your painter what he suggests.
this

Oh, and do not tailgate
Old 08-08-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: