Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Adhesive instead of welding?

My brother-in law told me that today's adhesives can be used in some places that used to welded.

The kidney bowl on a 911; normally this requires removing part of the fender.
I was wondering if maybe I could avoid this by using adhesives instead of welding.
My car is a former race car and they cut a hole through the kidney bowl to run oil lines.
The car is a 1980 so it has the "small" kidney bowl. Later kidney bowl is bigger and I think it will fit *over* the old one.

I don't have time to weld it (going to die before next driving season, long story) but I thought this might be clever a alternative to welding.

Adhesive link:

Welding VS 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive

Here's some pictures of how is usually done.

http://www.classiccarreras.com/911carrera.html

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 09-09-2019 at 07:27 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Interesting question.. You are correct in that there are numerous adhesives are used in some places instead of welding.

I know we do this in some areas of repair, including structural, with Porsche and other cars but they may also typically be support by a weld somewhere.. and this is with aluminum. Not sure which adhesives are being used to bond steel in the manner you speak of.. although 3M is a good place to start.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Not sure which adhesives are being used to bond steel in the manner you speak of.. although 3M is a good place to start.
I use a two part adhesive product called Plio-Grip. They have various adhesives. Maybe worth a look on-line.

If you find the right product it's important to put the squeeze on while the glue sets which is a "no-duh" statement.

I have used it primarily for pickup truck rear wheel arches. I cut the rust out and trim the remaining metal so that the repair panel can be crafted to fit. I use a pneumatic die tool that stamps a recess into the original opening lip and the repair piece fits relatively flush with the rest of the bed.

I use aluminum rivets to hold the panel in place while the adhesive sets up for a day. I just use 80 grit on a DA sander and knock the rivet heads off.

All of that said, wheel arch sheet metal is not a structural focal point.

I took pics with my IPhone. That's why they are sideways.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ChrisBennet - I hope you were kidding about dying before next race season.....
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo94507 View Post
ChrisBennet - I hope you were kidding about dying before next race season.....
Yeah.......me too.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Awesome guys.

Sounds like the aluminum rivets are the way to keep it "squeezed".

(Yes, brain tumor. Hoping get my strength back enough to drive. I am happy though, so don't feel bad for me. Today I found out my time horizon may be a little longer, probably not for driving though.)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wishing you the best Chris. Hang in there.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like the aluminum rivets are the way to keep it "squeezed".
Or small sheet metals screws which negate the need to grind, especially in tight areas.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye's-911T View Post
Or small sheet metals screws which negate the need to grind, especially in tight areas.
Yep. Body welding vice grips/c-clamps too, where possible.

All the best to you, Chris.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Wishing you the best and hope you get to drive that baby.

1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: