Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/)
-   -   74 Porsche 914 Bahia Red Paint (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/1043374-74-porsche-914-bahia-red-paint.html)

rikyrat 10-23-2019 01:31 PM

74 Porsche 914 Bahia Red Paint

When I had dropped my engine out of the car, to clean it up, I found the engine compartment in need of painting, as no amount of cleaning was going make me happy.
So I looked up the paint code, L30 Bahia Red.

Thinking to myself it should be a no brainer, to get some paint, how wrong I was. I went to a Sherman Williams Store, since our company sources it's paint from them, and told the clerk, I need a quart of this paint and gave him the code. He tapped a few keys on his computer, then asked me the year of the car I was working, cuz he had no reference to it at all. I asked him if he could call their paint lab, he told me that was not possible. That says a lot for his customer service skills.

So I came back home and on Monday, started calling around, only to be told the paint was so old there was no way anybody could mix it. Not being one who discourages easily, I called another Sherman Williams store, there are 2 here in the Phoenix area. I again explained my dilemma to him, and was told to hang on, he was going to call the paint lab, to see what he could find out. He came back on the line, and said the paint base used to mix that specific color, was discontinued, due to some environmental standard, that the lab did not have the formula any longer. Hmmm, I then asked him if I brought in a section of the car, could he match it, he said yes. Not getting too exicited about the prospect of this, since I have color matched paint done before, and it just did not look the same.

So Ok, I ripped the engine lid cover off my car, and toted it down to the paint store. Where ,Tony, proceeded to do his thing, first he used kind of spectrometer to get the formula, then proceeded to mix a small test batch. The first one was close, but no cigar,
after the third batch, I was thinking, no way, then lo and behold, got it right. He spray some on a test card, and placed it a holder that had 2 windows, 1 for the card and the other for the piece to be matched. I must say that I was impressed, there was no difference between the chip and the deck lid. Not in the store, under his special light or out in the sun. It matched perfectly.

Had it not been for his persistence to find the right color, I may have gone away empty handed. So that is my tale.

I am posting the formula here The paint is Sheman Williams ATX

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1571866144.jpg

Cairo94507 10-30-2019 12:29 PM

Cool story. I would have never thought of a Sherwin Williams store as here in CA they are not known for car paint. I would have definitely checked with high-end auto body and restoration shops. Glad it all worked out and you got a great match. That's the way to refresh the engine compartment too. Do it once and do it right. Congratulations and enjoy every time you pop the engine lid.

doswald 10-30-2019 05:03 PM

Thank you for sharing. I’m glad you got it right. I have a Bahia Red ‘71 911T that will be due for paint next year. Does the color of the primer affect the final color of the topcoat? If so, what color primer should be used with Bahia Red.

dho

962porsche 10-31-2019 02:00 AM

the color code for the 914 would be under a VW color code as the 914's were only sold as a Porsche in the US. the proper code for the 914 would be L30E for Bahia rot /red .
VW used L30E from 1968 to 1974 on many models.
you would also know right off it's a VW color code because it starts with L Porsche doesn't start there color codes with the later L .
some of the common color codes for Bahia on Porsche's
30E
VW built Porsches and vw's L30E

Wellwood 02-13-2020 03:47 AM

Bahia Red-

https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki/BahiaRed

Can purchase it on line as well...

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi

Tobra 02-13-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doswald (Post 10641591)
Thank you for sharing. Iím glad you got it right. I have a Bahia Red Ď71 911T that will be due for paint next year. Does the color of the primer affect the final color of the topcoat? If so, what color primer should be used with Bahia Red.

dho

Yes, and I do not know.

doswald 02-16-2020 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response, Tobra. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the proper primer color.

Dho

962porsche 02-17-2020 08:55 AM

the primer color is a very light gray almost white. it's not the primer color that matters it's the color of the sealer or the ground color coat.
you have different options.
the color of your under coat ( that would be the color right under the red) should always be a very light gray color as I stated.
you could use a tinted primer.
or you could use a sealer .
or your 3rd option would be to use a ground coat.
a ground coat is a base coat if using base clear or a single stage coat if using single stage.
red are one of the colors that tend to be transparent so using the proper under coat is very important!
in most cases we opt for a light gray sealer. going wet on wet from the sealer coat to last top coat.
the reason we tend to use a sealer is for a few reasons.
one reason is it does aid in adhesion another reason is your for sure going to have a few sand thru areas most likely on the edge of a panel from sanding your primer. a sealer will give a uniformed color coat over the sand thru areas and also give the top coat something more to try and stick to other hen just bare metal. top coats don't like to stick to bare metals.
also there is nothing worse then painting a car and after a few miles you start seeing a ghost of the areas you sanded thru the primer.

by the way using a gray under colors for colors like reds yellows oranges and so on has been talked about many times. I have even posted the formula for it with photos of the color used.

doswald 02-17-2020 06:55 PM

Thank you for the detailed explanation, 962Porsche. I appreciate the knowledge and expertise you and others generously share.

Dho

pkabush 02-20-2020 03:48 PM

Not sure about the 914 but on a 911/930 it’s much easier to remove the gas cover/door.