Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Essential Car Care Products?

Okay, I'm tired of searching the local Pep Boys for car care stuff. I'm going to do a mail order of a bunch of essential supplies.

Here's my tentative list - can anyone suggest something I've left out or warn me against a really bad choice?

- glaze/polish: 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. My car has some fine scratcheson the rear flanks, the kind that are fairly hard to see. Probably got them from me squeezing by the fenders in my small garage. No oxidation or swirls. Is this stuff overkill to use every time I wax (probably 2x year) ?

- wax: 3M Paste Wax. The car lives in the garage but gets driven a few times a week in all weathers. I'm looking for a durable wax rather than the absolute deepest shine. This was recommended to me in a previous thread.

- interior vinyl: Vinylex. Just installed a new dash pad, want to help it last. I can't find this stuff anywhere.

- leather: Lexol. I already use this.

- exterior rubber: what's good? I'm using Black Chrome, is that okay? Does it protect against UV?

- tires: I have no idea what is best to use. Have new tires on the way, cost enough that I want to keep them nice.

- wheels: I have polished Fuchs. What's good? P21?

What am I missing? Thanks!

Last edited by jyl; 04-01-2003 at 09:48 PM..
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
your list sounds good to me... As far as rubber goes, I've never used black chrome so I won't comment. But I really like a product called Black Again, comes in a small white cylinder and is a sort of white creme. Works great although I'm not sure where to get it any more, I hardly ever see it. It also works on various other colors of rubber and some plastics, not just black bumpers.
For tires, it depends on what you want. Just keeping them clean is enough, imo, but if you want that pleather like shine there are several good tire dressings out there. I find that the best ones are clearish liquids rather than gels or foams, and obviously something without silicone. I use some stuff I get through my local detail shop supply place called "super stuff". It's actually an all purpose dressing, but it's to slick for anything but tires. It last about two weeks for me, and that's driving in Oregon weather. It also doesn't splatter onto your car like most other brands. I just spray it on and let it dry; no wiping or anything.
For polished aluminum, I'd say just keep them nice and clean and a good coat of wax, once they've been fully polished. As far as the actual polishing goes, I don't know enough about that to comment. I'd say also get yourself a good clay bar, because somewhere along the line you will get some nasty tree sap on your paint. And get a good industrial quality one, the pep boys ones are over priced, small, and not as good. Quick detailer is the same deal, get the industrial brand in quantity and you'll save money. It comes under a few different names like "showroom conditioner" etc... But the stuff works great for quick cleanings and is a must for using with a clay bar. Also a good all purpose degreaser/ cleaner is handy for that hardcore birdcrap, tree sap, and stray bubble gum. I really like the Stoner brand citrus degreaser in the spray can. A can of good carpet cleaner comes in handy, again I like the stuff made by Stoner. Those would be my suggestions, check it out... and happy detailing!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Griots Garage is a good source for car detailing supplies. I like their clay bar for getting your paint finish clean and smooth.
1982 911SC PazificBlauMetallic
Old 04-16-2003, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Autogeek.net has black again. I just ordered some. I have used black chrome for a while. My only complaint is that it tends to wash off fairly quickly. That is why I am tring black again.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
cool, thanks for the lead. I'll have to go stock up.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mothers, their product rocks. I have the cleanest boat, and car around. I use their leather cleaner and treatment on my office chair and Bimmer. I use the 303 to seal the canvas on my boat from rain. The three step wax system removes any oxydization from everything I drive. These tire treatments all stain the driveway, so I do it on the street. Don't get it on your Motorcycle tires. It is like driving on cobelstone.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: