Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
cmaj7

WTB Porsche sheet metal

Am looking to buy some factory sheet metal to make a patch for a repair on a 930 front fender. Please email me at:

cmaj7th@hotmail.com

Thanks.....

Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

There isn't such a thing as 'factory' sheet metal. If you want original sheet metal, then you'd have to go buy another 930 front fender, cut it up, and use it to patch... which at that point, you might as well just replace the front fender with another factory fender.

Just go buy some sheet metal from a local body shop.. no one cares WHERE the sheet metal comes from on patch repair... they only care that it's done right!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
cmaj7

Hi there Trakrat, I just saw your post and thanks for the tip. But my thought in finding used factory sheet metal is that the gauge of the metal will be a better match than just going to the metal supplier and buying a sheet of metal. I'm thinking that even if you use a micrometer or calipers to measure the gauge of the metal being replaced, a piece of sheet metal from a Porsche door or fender will more precisely match the gauge of the original metal that was on the fender. From my research, the 911 uses 19 gauge 1018 cold rolled steel. But most metal suppliers in the US have either 18 or 20 gauge steel but not 19. That was my thinking. Your thoughts?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

in the stamping process of making panels the gage thickness changes thru out the hole panel.
in fact if you actually mic up a complete panel you will see it's has many thousands differences to the gages of the panels. also in the rolling process of just making the sheets you will have vast tolerance differences.
so the question is how are you going to keep a patch piece at 19 gauge when your rolling it thru a English wheel / punishing hammer / roller/ what ever. your not !

Old 03-05-2020, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: