Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
JED

Garage
Body Seals questions

Hi-

I currently have my 80SC in paint. Pulled the glass etc. Want advice on body seals. After doing some research I was left with indecision.

OE? Does it exist? $$$ Stoddard?
OEM is it really the same?
Complete Kit or piecemeal?
Have not had much luck with URO other than new updated front windshield seal.

Seems difficult to determine what the retailers are actually selling. Part number may be the same but often they are unclear as to the manufacturer. Vastly different prices.
My intent is update all the important seas, felt and rubber.

Your advice and or experience would be much appreciated.

Regards-

JS

Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My car just completed a complete restoration. We sourced as many NOS seals as Porsche could get their hands on. No kit. Experience dictated NOS where possible for best fitment. Then for the remainder, which really was not a lot, I went with an aftermarket manufacturer. I was surprised the seals Porsche could still get for me. My car is a '71 914-6. Oh, yeah, they were expensive even with good discount through Gaudin Porsche, Las Vegas.
'71 914-6 #0372
'16 Audi S3 DD
'17 Macan GTS

Last edited by Cairo94507; 01-17-2021 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-17-2021, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
JED

Garage
Thanks for the tips!
Seem some NOS seals are hard to find. Often retailers claim the OEM seals are made by the same company that sells to Porsche which then puts them in there box and adds aprox. 50% .
Hard to know what to believe sometimes.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCSinAK View Post
Thanks for the tips!
Seem some NOS seals are hard to find. Often retailers claim the OEM seals are made by the same company that sells to Porsche which then puts them in there box and adds aprox. 50% .
Hard to know what to believe sometimes.
that is 100% true!
Porsche doesn't make there own rubber seals like many parts they are out sourced.
we always had good luck with seals stoddard offers.
any new seal is not going to be like reinstalling the seal that was on the car.
some simple things to do are heat the rubber seals up. we put the seals in the the spray booth when the car we just painted is in it's baking cycle this heats the seals up to 140 degrees and makes them very pliable.
you will find things with both OE Porsche replacement and aftermarket that you may need to poke a hole thru the rear window seal if your car has a 3rd brake light.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

We've heard guys suggest putting seals in a pillowcase and running them in the clothes dryer for a bit to warm them up, or laying them on a hot driveway for a hour during Summer.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: