Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug

Garage
Fuel tank..can I top coat the SKS stoneguard with UPOL?

Trying to figure out how to finish my fuel tank to be more “original”.
My original tank had rust thru so purchased a Dansk tank.

I shot it with a few coats of sks stoneguard ... it came out pretty good using my cheap Schultz gun. But, now I think I would like to try to make it look closer to the original gray look. I know I could paint it but , the bottom side will then be subjected to road rash chipping of the paint.

So I thought that maybe I could top coat it with UPOL GraviTex that is tinted to match the original color of the fuel tank.

So..... from what I read especially from 962porsche the sks and upol gravitex are formulated the same. But, only the UPOL Gravi Tex can be tinted.
So why not do the UPOL on top of the SKS stoneguard.
Any problem with my logic?

Thanks
Doug

Last edited by wintersurf; 03-03-2021 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Title needs refinement
Old 03-03-2021, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have done this with no issues at all...
Old 03-04-2021, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

so the real question is why wouldn't you just do it all with the U-pol? this way if it gets a scratch on it you wouldn't see the color of the SKS under it.
yes u-pol is the CO that makes the SKS but being proprietary to U-POL they have the u-pol as a tintable stone / chip guard.
yes you can go over the SKS with the u-pol but like anything your looking to do more than the one coat on make sure you give the product proper flash off times between coats.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Doug

Garage
962 Porsche —you are correct I should have started with UPOL but, just thought I would be happy with the SKS.....next time I will juSt stick with the UPOL from the start.

BTW : I am a novice with the spray gun.....

Regarding flash off time.... with these water based coatings.
With low humidity and temps in the 60’s the sks / upol will start to get DULL eggshell look in about 15 minutes ( to me that indicates flash off).
Then I spray the 2nd and wait 15 or so until it gets DULL and then 3rd final coat
Does that sound about right ?
Thanks
Doug
Old 03-04-2021, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Doug

Garage
962 Porsche
Regarding flash off...

I think I get it!
Just took a look at some of your old posts on flash off and test cards with the dummy bomb you painted up for your shop.

I think I get it.
1. Spray a flash test card.
2. The coating has flashed off when.....a fingerprint impression is left on the card but, doesn’t leave residue on your finger.
3. Spray the next coat
Old 03-04-2021, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok that flash off is for paint AKA top coats.
when it comes to a product like stone guard in cooler temps and low humidity the flash time will still be about the 15 to 20 minutes. but this also depends on how heavy of a coat you applied.
so lets say your spraying 3 coats total of chip guard. you 1st coats flash time will be about 15 to 20 minutes yes it will dull out. your 2nd coat it will be just a little longer. so figure about 20 to 25 minutes.
with the tinted chip guard your flash times will increase by about 5 minutes this is because the paint added into the chip guard has a linger flash off time than just the chip guard alone.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Doug

Garage
Thanks for the good tutorial.
I will send a photo of the results!
Regards.
Doug

Old 03-04-2021, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: