Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
(the shotguns)

Can i shoot epoxy primer with a 33gal compressor and cheapie gun?

Reading the por-15 thread got me thinking i might like to use an epoxy primer on the interior portion of my front pan repair instead of POR (which i am using on the outside and have already used in the battery boxes).

I have a 33gal. air compressor and have seen paint guns for $30 at harbor freight. will i get a nicer finish (and better rust protection) by using such a setup to spray an epoxy primer? If I could do this cheap enough i kinda like the idea of doing the entire trunk in a battleship grey color; or maybe just spray black over the primer....

thoughts on this?
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
no problem with that set-up. I use PPG DPLF epoxy mixed for slow cure. has a week pot life and sticks like crazy.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I use a cheapo Cambell Hausfeild gun for my primer work. Primers (especially epoxies)also need a bigger orifice and needle than topcoat paint. I save my good Devillbiss guns for my topcoats
Old 12-19-2007, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Actually I just used my Devilbiss 670 Plus gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip to spray PPG epoxy and it went down real smooth and easy. I cleaned it very well afterwords and I see no problem. See my thread above for pics. That gun rocks!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Keep in mind, its not the size of the storage tank the compressor has, its the CFM it puts out. To be on the safe side, you need a compressor that puts out around 10CFM at 75 psi minimal to spray a sizeable area (whole side of car or more). Since you are spraying a small area, a small compressor will work fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

thanks guys. after seeing DRM05's application in his trunk with a schutz gun and Wurth SKS (guessing it's SKS, not confirmed yet) I am thinking i'll go that route.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

paint

Harbor freight sells awesome hvlp guns for $19. Use it and throw away. Dont
ruin a good gun.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: