Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to strip fiberglass bumprers

Hello,
would like to strip and repaint my RS bumpers and need some tips on how to strip them first? I am not sure if sanding would work as well because there are portions of white fiberglass showing. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Soda blasting is in fashion nowadays, but you can use sandpaper, it takes a little more time, but it will save you money.
Joseph Toliva, guy who signs my check
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

there is a chemical paint stripper made just for fiberglass. i think its made by clean strip.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your responses! If I sand, can I use a hand sander like the "mouse"? Or similar? If so what is the device of choice for this? Once its sanded I have seen on the forum posts regarding the primer etc. to use. After the primer, could you use a product like paintscratch's can spray to spray the color? Do most then use a clear over the paint? This is a car that see's a fair amount of track time so I would like to be able to touch it up from time to time.

Thank you for your help!
Dan
Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you want it to come out good, block the bumper with 80/120 grit(depends on how much paint is on it) Then shoot it with Euro or PCL primer. Then block it again with 360/400.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: