Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Fahren mit dem Wind.

Garage
Early "S" Door Dilemma

Hi All,

I am just getting started on a rolling resto of my pretty darn good 1970 911S. I have 2 small problem "cosmetic" rust areas but the rest of the car is solid. I'll talk about the 1st area in this post and do another post for the other area.

Basically, the driver's door has a small line of bubble through rust about 4" long close to the back edge. When I removed the interior upholstery, I discovered that there is a small (2.5" by 2.5") rubber block that is positioned on the bottom inside of the door (a window stop). Here is a copy of the Spare Parts Catalogue for a 1969 (but you'll get the idea, the part looks the same).

Where this part was located, there is rust surrounding and underneath it. The rest of the door is very clear of any surface or other rust. Apparently, water collected in this area and caused a problem. The drain hole is open. Here are 3 photos with annotations of the area:

From the outside so you can see the general area and location

From the inside of the door with the trouble area enlarged. You can see the "ghost" where that rubber block sat.

Looking up from under the door.

There are high resolution version of all of these photos at: http://mhackney.zenfolio.com/p508259350/

So, several questions.

1) How best to repair this?

2) What should I do to cleanup and treat the inside of the door after the repair is complete?

3) The passenger door does not seem to exhibit this problem around the rubber block and is a solid rust free door. I would like to keep it that way, so how should I treat the inside of it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael

Caregiver to:
1983 911 SC Cabriolet - Fahern mit dem Wind.
(Moss Green Metallic over Champagne and Brown Leather)
Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Luckily, it appears you can easily get to both sides of the rust. Do yourself a favor and buy a small gravity feed sand blaster (around $40). When you are dealing with areas of rust like this, I find sandblasting works best to get the rust out of the pits etched into the metal. I would blast both the outside and the inside of the panel. I would then trim out the affected area depending on how big the holes are. You can either weld in a piece of fresh metal inside the door or splice in a piece flush with the surface. I would then coat the inside of the door with Wurth Rust Guard or Por 15. I like to apply the Rust Guard with a brush because you put it on a lot thicker and there is no masking involved. You can also coat the not yet affected door on the inside with it too to halt or prevent the problem happening on the other side. The Rust Guard is fine as a topcoat as long as it is not exposed to alot of sunlight.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Fahren mit dem Wind.

Garage
Thanks Chris.

Can I apply the Wurth Rust Guard or Por15 over the existing coating inside the door? It seems like it would be a lot of work to try to clean it all out.

Cheers,
Michael

Caregiver to:
1983 911 SC Cabriolet - Fahern mit dem Wind.
(Moss Green Metallic over Champagne and Brown Leather)

Last edited by mhackney; 05-04-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slumlord

I would prep it as per POR15 instructions and then paint it with black POR.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: