Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Air Compressor Recomendations?

For sandblasting and painting? Tank capacities? Brands? SCFM numbers? Etc... New to the bodywork game. By no means new to mechanic aspect. I plan to practice on spare panels I have on hand etc... I have been checking out whats availible at Lowes and Home Depot... Seems Dewalt, Porter cable, and Hitachi are the better brands they carry.

Thanks,

Shelby
Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

You will need the compressor with the largest output that you can afford..

Sandblasting, and spraying paint are air hogs. Get the biggest compressor that your wallet and circuits can handle
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Huge compressor in another room. Route it same as mechanic shop. Plumbing up, and then down where the water separators goes. Big paint booth water separator in the booth. If you are in mechanic business I would say yes best if keep it simple,- and as stated above - large.

Happy Booming Fouth of July!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have an Ingersoll Rand 2340 L5 in my shop. 175 psi max, 5 HP and a pile of CFM's. Keeps up with my blast cabinet easily.
'66 911 Work In Progress (#303734)
'85 911 Carrera
06 325XI
'05 Envoy XL SLT
Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

I've got the IR TS4N5 80 gal/5 hp deal in my basement with lines running to the garage. I blasted my entire car in a booth there (I have a very understanding wife, as it's not a stand-alone building) and never had an issue with the air, but you may want to consider the IR DS15 ($770) or TMS20 ($1000) dryers if you're going to blast and paint. Otherwise, a smaller one will work for most applications.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: