Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1972 Reproduction Fuel Tank Coating and Paint

Can anyone tell me about coating and correctly (color) painting a new repro fuel tank for a longhood? Is it grey top and bottom? I saw a post on using a rubberized roofing coating, then spraying it afterward.

Is the coating necessary with the galvanized tank? Was the original coating a rust inhibitor, or for something else like shock and vibration or road rash?

Thanks
Matt

Hang up the cell phone. Put down the Latte. Ignore the kids in the back seat.
Use your blinker when you want to change lanes. AND DRIVE YOUR Fu@#!NG CAR!!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

possibly grey stoneguard from Wurth.

i'll be doing this with the galvanized tank i just picked up.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Get Wurth Stoneguard in either white or grey. Apply at least three spaced out coats to get the stipple. Then paint it with a grey industrial enamel. You especially want the bottom of the tank coated because of the constant bombardment of dirt, rocks, sand on the highwat which will etch into the galvanized finish and later rust.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
I media blasted mine, good coat of epoxy primer, then Wurth Stoneguard with a shutz gun.. You can buy it in spray cans also, most likely need 3-4 cans I would think.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the spray can stoneguard texture is not the same as that shot from a schutz gun.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmog View Post
the spray can stoneguard texture is not the same as that shot from a schutz gun.
Good to know, I was wondering what the cans used for nozzles..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: