Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Carmagic.us

The best and worst Color for Painting and Fading

I'm just wondering what is the best color to paint, and to the same time looks good, and will not fade to bad over the years.

I picked up a red '78SC and the paint is really bad. I did some polishing last weekend and noticed that on the places I did wet sanding with 1000 and then with 2000 grid it still shines. I drove the car to work 2 times and it was sitting in the sun all day and most of it starts getting bad again.

I think this paint, or pain, is just gone. However, if I go and paint this car, I want to make sure I select a color which looks good on the 911, and also is easy to paint and will last.

Here my rating:

Best to last
1. Silver
2. Dark Silver
3. Gold
4. White
5. Blue
6. Green (viper)
7. Red
8. Black

Looks best
1. Red
2. Dark Silver
3. Green (Viper)
4. Black
5. Silver
6. Blue
7. White
8. Gold

Cheers
Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A lot depends on how much sun you get a year, how much the car gets etc. Personally I wouldn't chose a color based of longivity. With proper care, @ keeping the car washed & waxed today's paints will last years and years. Clearcoats protect the paint, not just give it shine. Clears are designed to bounce the UV rays back away from the paint vs. the paint absorbing them. That is what fades the paint. If you get it painted and are worried about the longivity of the finish get an acrylic urethane bc/cc system and enjoy the color you want for the life of the car.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

What Buck said. Use a clearcoat and you won't have oxidation problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Thanks for the imput !

I think I will leave the SC red when I paint it and also do clear coat.

It's funny, I plant to paint my '71 gards red, and after getting comment and also my family liked the green, I start to like it moore as moore I saw pictures from 911's in that color. It's viper green now. I just did a one stage paint, but since it will be a AX car it will spend most of the time inside the garage anyway.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

looks good Rothaus, nice color.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: