Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flares or 930 fenders ?

I have a 73 RSR project. I have rear 930 quarters for the both rears, so I set there. I have a great passenger side front 930 fender. I have fairly decent stock front fenders that could be easily made perfect. Am I better off looking for a drivers side 930 fender and modify then or getting the turbo flares for the stock fenders ?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

It depends on your budget and your taste. You should probably look at some of the photos in this forum (look for such titles as 'random 911 pics' threads in the 911 Technical Forum) and decide what you want your project to look like. Factor in every piece of the final project at the start to avoid the necessity (and cost) of switching parts midway through.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, I get the taste vs budget trade off. Essentially I got the project partially started with the origional front fenders and the left 930 fender.

I have seen a couple of threads on attaching the turn signal portion of the early style fenders to the latter. Installing the flares I understand takes some blending as well. So what I want to find out is which route yields the best results.

As far as cost goes I would rather spend the $$ necessary to get the best end results, especially considering the cost of prep and paint.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

How familiar are you with metal work?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Did you know, RSR fender and quater panel differ in their profile and wheel well area shape.

RSR fenders and quarters look slightly diferrent than the 930 in that the profile is more convex (am I saying that right?), and the shape around the wheel wheel has an arc that comes closer to the outer wheel well arc as aproach the rocker areas.

As far as your question goes, I would weld flares on the front, replace quarters on the rear.

Regards,
Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I can do most of the basic metal work, but at this point I am in the air about having a shop with experiance do the metal work or doing it myself. I am confortable with the rear quarters but was concerned about properly grafting the early fender portions to the 930 fenders.

The other factor is time. I can do the work but in fact would like to complete the car by june 09 so I may have a shop do it. I have not made any definative decisions on that.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
73 rsr fender 930