Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Painting a Helmet

Anyone here ever paint a helmet?

I am thinking of projects for the winter...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

I've never done it, but if you have any experience at all with masking, etc. you shouldn't have much of a problem. I assume you're thinking of some sort of design.

I would recommend wet sanding the whole surface with 10K grit paper, then wiping it clean with a lint-free cloth before beginning.

Then after you finish your design, put several light coats of clear on it.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I would check with the manufacturer first to see what paints you can use, some may have an adverse affect on the integrity of the helmet if it isn't just a fiberglass or carbon fiber construction.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Kinda the same...I painted my son's batting helmet--3 light coats and then 4 light coats of clear--looks good...
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Very important ! Some paints have solvents and should NOT be used on a helmet. Make sure you dont cause a safety problem.
As mentioned above !
Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Some people use automotive paint that is suitable for use on fiberglass.

Most helmet manufacturers recommend that you not paint the helmet because they cannot take the risk of somebody using a solvent based paint that may weaken the structure.

An alternative is the many water borne automotive paints on the market now. I would stick to them, unless the helmet is just going to be used for decoration.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: