Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

A new coat of color. 936 silver metallic

It was time to repaint the ST so a few months back I stripped the paint.

How to strip paint from a car in 2.5 hours

I ended up with the tub looking like this.

After a lot of sanding I put down a layer of epoxy on the bare tub. Nothing exciting but the results were pretty clean. An example:

After removing the epoxy is spots to touch up a few blemishes such as the blending job on my flares I started with the high build. Primer gray is just not that exciting to look out.

After lots of blocking and even a few additional spot applications of the high build I was ready to shoot. Today I towed the car up to my friends house. My garage was built in the 1940s and I have 4" of clearance when the nose touches the front to the door. Its just not big enough to paint.

Once unloaded the car was prepped for paint. here is the car awaiting its final bath before paint. I washed the car with dishsoap and several clean rags. The car was then left in the sun to air dry. Hey, it was 104 today it didn't take long. More on the heat later.

After a long time taping the car off it was time to lay the base. This was the first time shooting a base/clear setup. Since its primarily a track car I did not spend much money on materials. Dupont Nason was the choice. It sprayed really easily. I started with an old favorite gun. The paint kept drying in the tip and would barely come out. after the first light, dry coat I switched to a different sized tip, one larger. this made a huge difference. Here is the base laid down. Each layer was dry in about 10 minutes. I shot 2 (plus the first layer that doesn't count) coats for full coverage.

classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Next it was time to clear. after cleaning the gun I mixed the clear. After the first coat I had to clean the tip. the clear was a little thicker and so I thinned with 5% SLOW reducer. The heat was a huge problem in trying to keep a wet edge. I am so surprised I didn't drag the hose in the paint as much as i ran back and forth around the car. I also had to spray much closer to the car than I was comfortable with just to keep the paint from drying before it hit the car.

In the end I sprayed 3 coats of clear. The few grainy dry spots should wetsand and buff out. Overall I am pleased. I love the color and tone of silver. The small amount of black really sets the curves out. Of course, it accentuates the body work blemishes. I guess I still need to do practice that. At least the car is painted and now I can finish building my engine for a few more trips to the track.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A few more pics.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

wow, looks great! are you going to add some martini stripes?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

Hmmmm . . . shot outside and no flies in the paint. I think I'm moving to Texas . . .
Old 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No Martini stripes on this car. Maybe some number placards.

Bugs!? All the bugs are dried up and shriveled. We have only had 47 days above 100 this year. :O I am officially sick of TX summers. Our summers are like most other's winters. I don't drive the car from May through September.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

WOW I am not a paint snob and enjoy "driver" cars. That is as nice a paint job as I would ever care to own. Great work!

I really think you should sell me your fuchs for my RSR look they are too nice to put on the track :-)
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Looking good!!!!!

Cheers
Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
And by just leaving the car outside for a day, you get a baked on finish
Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

yet again you tackle a massive project with amazing speed and end up making it look like a walk in the park.

truly inspirational.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: