Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
No video yet but more progress. After smoking my speedo, I got another one from Parts Heaven(in 2 days no less!!) and after some hair pulling I figured out the wiring and got it working. Also took care of the State inspection and got the car registered and tagged.
Unfortunately, this state requires a front plate so I grudgingly mounted it directly to the bumper(min height 12")

Also made a new cover for the smugglers box and the blower cover out of some material that was left over from a recent remodel at the shop. I will be driving this thing this week dammit!!
Pics:
Also made a block off for the ventilation inlet to keep rain out of the trunk area

78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

That looks super Tom is that Al deckplate you used and looking forward to you driving the car.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
That looks super Tom is that Al deckplate you used and looking forward to you driving the car.
It's actually a stylized pegboard used for retail display. We had a bit left over when we renovated our tool room here at the shop. I should be buzzing it around today
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Got to the shop this morning very intent on going for a drive today. First item on the agenda was fitting the engine lid latch assembly. A little grinding to open up the mounting holes and a slight adjustment to the release cable and all was well.

Next up, I had been fighting with the electrical since I bought this car 5 yrs ago. At first, my brake lights didn't work and then they did. Then the driver's side brake light went out, then the passenger side then both reverse lights. Smoke coming out of the fuse box is a bad thing!
Traced the problem to a ground connection I for got to attach from the drivers tail light assembly to ground. Also made one for the passenger side just in case. Problem solved.

Roll the car outside to take her on the maiden voyage to a pizza joint just down the road and now it won't start Change the plugs thinking that 5 yrs of intermittent starts and a suspect cis system may have fouled them. Old plugs look dark, but not too bad. Same problem. check the fuel pump relay and find it to be loose in the socket(Uro brand, blech). Borrow the fog lamp relay from my Carrera which fits correctly and we're off!!! YES!!!!!!!

Took a couple shots after arriving......I parked well away from the general population for the obvious reasons.
Color me a happy boy

Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Looks awesome. Too bad you have to have the feeling ugly tag. What happens if it gets lost?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
Looks awesome. Too bad you have to have the feeling ugly tag. What happens if it gets lost?
Thanks !
As a licensed state inspector, I would have to replace it immediately
But if you notice, I mounted it where, if I decide to remove it for say, a car show, then all I need is two small pieces of electrical tape to cover the holes I drilled

Last edited by village idiot; 10-06-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Really cool Tom. You should be way proud of this one. Are you going to the mall on Sunday for the show?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shbop View Post
Really cool Tom. You should be way proud of this one. Are you going to the mall on Sunday for the show?
Is that this Sunday? Maybe, still haven't given it a thorough shakedown
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice car.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)

The PC is having a show at the mall. Should be more exact info on their web site. Let me know if you think you can make it.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Ok, so I took the car on a 30+ mile shakedown cruise in light to moderate traffick along with some freeway cruising. Things of note were: clunking noise from front suspension, turns out I had not fully tightened the upper camber plate bolts. "Scraping" noise from steering wheel that ended up being a specially shaped snap ring that resides below the steering wheel hub that was missing causing the wheel to sit too deep, making contact with parts it was not intended to. Remedied with a custom hand fabricated snap ring.

Other than that, the engine ran beautifully with good power and only a slightly high idle. Transmission was a little balky, but I'll change the fluid in it tomorrow to see if it will help.

Oh yeah, this thing draws a little attention with it's loud color and louder exhaust. Not too bad at idle, but once past 2k rpm it fairly howls.(I love the sound!).

Night strafing runs in order to check the lights are in order for this evening
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

The devil just ordered blankets, it is cold down there.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbush67 View Post
The devil just ordered blankets, it is cold down there.
Shane, don't I know it.
It was definitely worth the wait. All told along with our impromptu cruise this evening I put almost 100 miles on her today!

I love the way it sounds when I wind it up. Following your screaming banshee in my own howling animal is just pure aural eutopia. I had fun, and even without a proper alignment it still felt very planted.
Thanks for the cruise Shane
Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: