Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Back at it again!

Well, after months of inactivity due to work etc. I have a couple of weeks off to get back into fitting my rocker panel and finishing the passenger side metal work.

I didn't take many pictures while in progress, but I do have a couple "after" pics. The replacement rocker I got from Stoddards was a better fit than the part from RD.

78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
More

With that done I moved onto fitting my second bumper that I purchased on Ebay for $100. It's an reproduction of an "S" bumper(manufacturer unknown). It fit much better than the RS bumper I received from Rennspeed.

A few minutes with the mini body saw and a bit hammer work on th front of the tub was necessary to make it happy.

With lights fitted

Now it's starting to look like something

Also modified the original SC quarter extension supports to better align the rear bumper(also a Rennspeed part).
Never mind the extra long screw in the second pic, I'll fix that later

I also pulled the front windshield to check for rust and found none That was a great surprise.

That was my weekend and now this week I have off from work so I'll probably start stripping the rest of the tub to find if any other surprises are in store for me.

To be continued.............................

Tom
Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Today was a good day, I didn't have to use my AK

Stripped the drivers quarter and front fender and much to my amazement NO BONDO!!

Took awhile though as I'm not allowed to use any chemical strippers. So I went to town with one of those twisted wire "cup" brushes mounted on my angle grinder to break through the majority of the 10+ layers of paint/primer/sealers.

The remaining paints were removed with 40 grit paper on my DA and finished with 150 grit. Then I treated the bare metal with Ospho.

Here's the end results, I apologize for the cel phone pic but I forgot the digicam at home.

The front fender looked beautiful after it was stripped with only a couple of itty-bitty dings that will need attention.

Yesterday I made a filler panel for the A/C evaporator hole.

With any luck I'll have the car in primer and ready to block by the end of next month.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-19-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Lots of work kinda like mine when we put it together in 82 down on Waimanu st. spelling is terrible good progress and good luck.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

I thought this one would be out the door by now! Take a few more weeks/months off and let me catch up . . . looks good; I have had pretty good luck with the 'basics' of Stoddard components but have found they require a little work to fit properly, but that's pretty much the same as pieces from Year One or any other supplier. What color are you painting it?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Thanks gs! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the 914 sold then I'll probably order those sick 917 style brakes from the guys @ Zuffenhaus

Scott, I'm finding everything needs a bit of tweaking to work but I guess that's part of the game.

As far as color..........well I had planned to go Mexico blue but one of the other local members has one so that's out. I had also thought about chartreuse but I saw a 74 Carrera here in that color so thats out. Viper green maybe?

This weekend I'll strip the doors and maybe the roof if time permits.

Stay tuned........................
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Going to once again be a very nice ride. Progessing slow is ok now, letting your undercoat cure. What color was it originally? Wouldn't you say selling a 914 and getting those brakes is over the top

Regards,
Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Bernard, from what I can tell the original color was a beige. But since then it had been orange twice, black once, and white once.

As much as I loved(It sold today!) the teener, it was distracting me from my goal. I would find myself cruising around in it during the weekends instead of putting time in on the 911.

As for the brakes, well they may be a bit much but I needed new rotors all around(very rusted) and since driving one of my customer's 930, I've been brainwashed into thinking I need them

Who knows though? My situation is pretty fluid right now and I do have a set of Carrera calipers lying around as well. Might be a good time to look for a 3.2 and sell the 3.0 that's in the car. Lots of options at this point.

Tom
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Couple of pics of the driver's door in process of being stripped. You can see a whole bunch of different colors: 2 different dark oranges, black, white, a bright orange, a tan/coffee color and of course gray primer/sealer.

Again, since I'm not using a chemical stripper, total time from start of stripping process to bare metal was about 4 hours

I started with a 7" grinder on low speed with a 24 grit flapper wheel, being as careful as I could not to nick the bare steel. Next I used a DA with 40 grit to cut through the remainder of the paint/primer. Finally, I went over the bare steel with my DA and 150 grit paper to clean things up.

Tomorrow I'll start on the roof and next weekend I'll shoot the tub with epoxy primer in preparation for the body work(filler). So far all the panels are in great shape with very minor dings, the largest being a small depression about 2.5" in diameter.

Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
My neighbor used a razor blade on his '71 vette. He's an ex body guy. You might try the same? he said if you catch it right you can take off 2-3 inch strips at a time... piece of cake. He said to get a wall paper size scraper ~3-4" blade with the nice long handle, be gentle, but firm, and the paint just flakes off. Low dust and no chemicals.

-Michael
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Hey Mike,

I did actually try that, but the results were less than satisfactory. The last two paint jobs appear to have been the result of Earl Schieb or Maaco. And the razor thing would get some small areas clean but it wasn't consistent.

The other paint jobs were better quality and had very good adhesion and a blade wouldn't even come close
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Looking good!! Man! I have to make time to get some progress in my car...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I hate freight charges

Garage
Thanks Wachuko I'm really trying to keep moving forward...... The steady influx of parts has me pushing to get this thing painted. I just got my M&K 2 into 2 sport muffler from Ben and my 930 brakes should be coming soon too

By this weekend I'm sure I'll have at least the doors and possibly the front fenders in primer. My welder ran out of gas and for some odd reason it takes 5-10 days to refill/replace the bottle(wtf?). There were a couple of spots I need to re-weld and 2 more small patches I need to make then I'll be done with the sheet metal work

More pictures to come this weekend

Tom
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
More stuff done!

Some more progress as I started working on the front fenders again. I had to re-weld where I had joined the lower fender because I did not get good penetration(hey, i'm new at welding!). On the plus side it gave me an opportunity to smooth out the metal better so less filler would be needed.

Secondly, I had to chop my SC fender in order to scavenge the mounting flange to replace the rusty one on the early fender I was using:

The part I had to replace. (styrofoam used to show the size of the rust holes)

Part tacked in place

Fully welded and welds dressed smooth

close-up of butt to butt action

[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/RSbeginning+0681223867818.jpg[/img)
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Also did a little body work on the doors. Mostly because I filled in the holes for the
original SC flag mirrors.

Parting shot of my recently purchased M&K sport muffler

I'm going in tomorrow to finish the "mud work" on the fenders and time permitting, I'll primer the fenders and Por15 the undersides. The doors are already in primer at this time

More to come!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
It never ends!

Got to put the holiday to good use today as I was able to finish the metal work and body filler and get the fenders primed. This is not to say that they are ready for paint, but at least with some primer on them it makes it easy to spot the smaller dings and repair them.

On with the pics:

First, I was trying to finish welding some pinholes on the lip of the fender but I kept blowing through because the metal was already very thin. In a fit of anger I took the cutoff wheel and removed a 1.5" section from the fender lip0 as well as a similar sized section off my sacrificial SC fender. A little time fitting and a few welds later and problem solved

I forgot to take pics during the "mud work" but oh well. I got everything close enough to spray a couple of coats of primer just to help keep the parts from rusting. I still have a few small dings to iron out, but I very pleased with how straight the panels look. Especially where I had to graft the lower section of my SC fender to the early one. Very little filler was needed

Primered and ready for the first round of blocking

Have to work all week but I've already liberated the front and rear windows in preparation for stripping the roof and cowl panel.

More to come...........................

Last edited by village idiot; 10-14-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by village idiot View Post

Tom,

Who's shoes did you borrow for the picture?

Looking great....Paint by Christmas?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Heh, them be my work shoes

I hope to have some color on it by Xmas, but who knows? I still have to adjust the 'glass bumpers as I am not really happy with the fit yet.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

What color again? I'm sure you posted your planned color but with my age .... what was I talking about?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
What color again? I'm sure you posted your planned color but with my age .... what was I talking about?
Well, I was gonna do Mexico blue but I saw an early locally painted that color already. Previous to that I had Chartreuse(sp) in mind but there's a 74 Carrera in that color and my car has already been orange a number of times...................So I think I'll try Viper green for now
Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: