Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Painting a 928 at home??

The long and short is that I am cheap and that I don't want to pay more for a paint job than the car is worth...it's a daily driver all year. It has bad clearcoat/sun damage on the hood. I thought about just painting the hood and trying to match the colour...quartz...but I don't like the colour to begin with. Thinking black is the way to go.

A lot of guys are talking about hobby air kits and stuff. Can I paint a car with this set-up at home?

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions/comments on whether this is worth my while or if I should open the purse strings?

Thanks,
Mat
'03 Cadillac CTS - daily
1990 928 S4
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slumlord

What sort of 'facility' do you have?

Have you ever painted a car before?

Have you considered doing all the prep work then taking the car somewhere?

What is your car worth?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Considering a lot of options at this point. The car is only worth <$4K, and is a daily year round driver at this point. I would like to change the colour from the current quartz, but am not going to spend at least half the cars value on paint...I don't think that I would ever get that back. The real problem is the hood, so maybe I just get that fixed and save myself the huge hassle... and money.

I don't have much of a "facility" to do this really...2 car garage. Never painted a car. Could possibly just do the prep work and then send out as you suggested...probably the cheapest way to do it?? I will have to do a lot of research on the stripping process etc., though as I have never done this sort of work before.

Any thoughts?
Mat.
'03 Cadillac CTS - daily
1990 928 S4
Old 10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slumlord

Thoughts from someone who is going through this:

Project Zeke - Part II

1) it is a LOT of work to prep and change colour

2) unless you have experience you will waste a lot of time and paint learning (I know this to be true) and in a two car garage you can't do a really good job.

3) primer is about $70/liter, paint/hardener is about $300/gallon, plus clear coat, so it is easy to get to over $1,000 in materials before you finish the entire car.

4) the cheapest thing to do is prep the hood yourself, strip the paint completely if you want to, or water sand and get down to flat paint/bare metal, do the filler yourself (there will be dings and dents that show up when you water sand, trust me)

5) then take the hood to paint shop and have it squirted there. It won't match, but that's the downside of saving tons of time and money

6) buy a Porter-Cable polisher and buffing compound to do the rest of the car, you will be able to improve the finish a lot

If you are the GTA I can get you info on a paint shop, I got the hood and fenders done on my Rabbit for $400. The paint/clear coat material alone would have cost me that much.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am going through this right now. This is the just of it so far:

Polly and wash your garage. Mop it every time you go in, to get rid of dust.

1.Remove front window/rear, door handles, head lights, tail lights, etc. Tape the rest of the car off. Or tape it all if you want.....but it is more work to make it nice.
2.Sand the paint down to primer in areas that are straight and smooth. Use paint remover to get down to metal in areas that you can't sand easily, or have damage/rust, then wash off.
3.Use fiberglass filler to fix small dents and scratches, then sand with a palm sander (200 grit, wet) Then urethane cleaner and tack cloth.
4.Prime the car. Use 1 coat of self etching primer where the metal has been exposed, and standard primer everywhere else. Dry(20 min.)
5.Spray whole car with standard primer again. Dry.
6.Sand whole car with 200 grit, wet.
7.Prime again.
8.Spray a thin layer of black primer (spray can) all over car (if you used gray primer in the above steps) let dry, then sand. This shows you how much you have to sand until smooth. The black will show up in all the low spots and scratches/dents.
9.Clean car, then use a urethane cleaner, then tack cloth.
10.First layer of paint. Dry(20 min)
11.Second layer of paint. Dry. Gently tack cloth in between coats, if needed.
12.Third layer of paint. Dry. ( you might need to stop, let dry, and sand out any imperfections along the way with 800+sand paper,wet)
13.Let dry for a few hours
14.First layer of clear coat. Dry(20 min)
15.Second layer. Dry.
16.Third layer. let dry over night.
17. Wet sand with 2000 grit and polish for the next few days(40+ hours)

Cost: $600.00
Time: 80+hours
Quality: 7/10(depending on your ability)

This is for a car that you just want to look good as a daily driver, not a show car.

Last edited by 911Etarga; 10-22-2008 at 09:47 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

P.S.
You are in Ontario, you need a heater in your garage.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am with you P Monkey...let somebody else do it! After more research, I am not that brave and don't have the time.

pm me at mscherer@rogers.com if you want to let me know where you took your rabbit. I am in Cambridge.

I have two dings in both sides of the rear quarters that I should get done as well. Going to keep it the same colour to keep costs down is the decision.

Thanks guys!
Mat.
'03 Cadillac CTS - daily
1990 928 S4
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slumlord

I took it to a place called CO-UP in North Mississauga. Be prepared to 'negotiate' with the owner. And pay cash. But he did a lot work for $400 on my car. And he did it quickly.

PM me if you can't find it.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Arrow Great

bump then lurk as soon as possiblecheap wow power leveling (World of warcraft Power Leveling):buy WoW Power Leveling, cheap world of warcraft power leveling , 1-80 level wow Power Leveling,maple story mesos, wedding invitations
Old 10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: