Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Aerosol touch up paint?

On my daily car the plastic bumpers have spots that have paint chipping on them. I would like to simply spray it with some aerosol touch up paint and wet sand. There is a little damage that I will fix with some bondo bumper repair two part epoxy. The problems have been on the car for a LONG time so I think I will have to sand first and then use the bumper fix and then paint. Could anyone recommend a good online company to buy the aerosol auto paint and also how do I sand it so it matches the existing area. The spots are small like no bigger than a half dollar or so.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Some automotive paint suppliers, and even auto parts stores that mix paint, have the ability to mix up spray bombs of matching paint. Usually it is mixed as a single stage acrylic enamel formula, not base/clearcoat. The color may be a good match but the spot repairs may still stand out.
I would sand the edges of the chipped paint to feather them level before the filler. If you are down to bare unpirmed plastic an adhesion promoter like "bulldog' is advised. Once the filler is sanded it will need to be leveled with the surounding area with a sandable primer. I'd follow up with a primer/sealer before the paint.

Best regards
Ernie
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try this web site http://www.paintscratch.com/

2 1977 911S Targas Gone but not forgotten
1985 Carrera Targa Current Toy
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like I would make a mess of this! I guess its best I just take the bumper off and drop it off to be fixed and painted. Its really a small spot but I think the "abandoned building theory" tells me I should fix it because I don't want my daily driver to slowly become junk!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've used these folks. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

I used their lacquer base with clear top coat and it came out really nice. Very good color match

Only down side is it was my lower valence. Lacquer has a tenancy to be brittle and chip easily. 4 years later it needs to be repainted.

'82 911SC, SSI, 22/29 tbars, 22F/22R Adj swaybars, Bilstein Sport, Elephant polybronze & monoballs, Cambermeister bar, turbo tierods, Carrera oil cooler, front brake cooling ducts, Sparco Sprint 5 & Recaro SRD PAX seat, Teamtech harness, DAS Sport rollbar.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
apprentice restorator

that's good info....i have so many spots that are chipped that is good to know that someone can match the paint to the point that is possible to get a spray can and avoid (for now) a paint job

Anyone has experience with these guys and how they can make a 30T (hellblau) that fits the original paint? the one that i've got from Kragen is too shiny and stand out too much >_<
Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: