Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 GT Flare Install

This is my thread to document my GT Flare install on my 74 914. Milt Becker (Zeke) will be doing the work but I wanted other Pelican's to see the work he does.

So...starting slow, today Milt came be to tack some pieces together for the tow bar he building to move my car from my place to his. He has done some rustoration work prior to the GT fender install and we thought it would be much more economical if we cut out he flatbed tow on this endevour.

Kev

Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I assume you are going with metal flares? GT bumpers or 916? I am building a race 914 now using all fiberglass quarters, roof, reskined door, and 916 front and rear bumpers. Please post pictures and tell us exactly what your plans are for your car. Jim
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The car will be fitted with steel gt fenders, fiberglass flared rockers and valances, stock bumpers. The car will primarily be weekend transportation and perhaps autoxing one day. Waiting on rockers to get started fitting up the fenders.

Kev
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Any updates? Any additional information you can provide about your car and your dream car you are going to build? Are you staying with the original color? Jim
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Flare installation is stalled waiting on a decent set of flared rockers, hoping they show up in a week or so. The car will stay Alaska Blue Metallic, original color and will be fitted with 15x8 Fuchs w/225x50-15's. The drivetrain is a 2.0/4 for now, may convert to a /6 when the economy gets its act together and I have a little more in savings to spend. For now, just doing the bodywork/paint and putting the /4 back in to DRIVE!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well - thanks for the other pictures. Questions are you converting to 5 lug? Picked your tires and wheels? Going to loose the impact rubber nipples? Chrome your bumpers? Eliminate the required fender side lights? Car looks nice and clean and well taken care of. Jim
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dorociak View Post
Well - thanks for the other pictures. Questions are you converting to 5 lug? Picked your tires and wheels? Going to loose the impact rubber nipples? Chrome your bumpers? Eliminate the required fender side lights? Car looks nice and clean and well taken care of. Jim
The car will be converted to 5-lug using 911 struts w/Koni adjustables, new Lemforder turbo tierods and balljoints. M-calipers with vented discs. Rear will be drilled and studded /4 hubs with 914-6 discs. Picked up 5 15x8 Fuchs that I'll be sending to Al Reed for some work and new tires probably 225-50x15. I've got early bumpers I'm going to put on it but haven't decided if I'm going chrome or painted black. Milt shaved the side markers last year.

Also going to use these:

With a Triad Exhaust

New battery tray and support as well as HH patching was completed previously by Milt.

Last edited by kconway; 02-11-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

When you change to the 911 front struts are you planning on changing to 911 SC or Carrera front A arms, with the aluminum cross member? if you do, you get 1mm thicker front torsion bar and loose weight over the metal crossmember. Jim
Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dorociak View Post
When you change to the 911 front struts are you planning on changing to 911 SC or Carrera front A arms, with the aluminum cross member? if you do, you get 1mm thicker front torsion bar and loose weight over the metal crossmember. Jim
Hi Jim,
If I were going to AX the car immediately I might do that but I have '73 911 T struts already, 3" caliper spacing so I won't be going with the aluminum crossmember, UNLESS I found one cheap! I'm going for a "cushy" ride by using 100lbs or 140lb Weltmeister springs in the rear (I've got both, haven't decided which to run) and OEM front and rear swaybars. No 911 front torsion bars. Need to get my Koni's revalved for my 914 though.
Kevin
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Used User

Wait, I didn't weld in a wooden battery tray!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

HH and battery tray...must have fallen off my earlier post.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Used User

All done.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

any progress?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wait Kconway Milt welded, filled and primed before you could get your camera ready? Damn Milt is the man.

In all seriousness that looks great. I love the GT flares 914/6 916 look.

Great work Milt, again.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Forgot about this thread. Here are a few after paint photos, trying to sort the engine stuff still. Milt's coming by this weekend and we are going to weld up the conversion motor mount.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wondered what had happened with your project. Looks good, and probably has taken much longer than you thought. So you decided to do a 6 conversion? 2.7? Please tell us more. Jim
Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It's a 2.4 CIS motor converted to webers. Trying to get away without an external oil cooler for now. Tinkering with this motor has got me thinking about starting to stockpile parts for an engine build. For now I just want it back on the road. Suspension and brakes have been completely updated.

I have everything to put the car back together, life just keeps getting in the way...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: