Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do you Strip Paint off Fiberglass Wing?

What is the easiest way to strip paint off an old Fiberglass wing?

I was going to spray over the old paint, but it turns out the new paint is eating the base layer. So, it has to come off.

Is there a liquid paint stripper that is OK for fiberglass? Gelcoat?

Sanding the paint down seems like a royal pain and time consuming.

I searched the forum, but was unable to find an answer, other than to sand the paint off.

'82 911SC, SSI, 22/29 tbars, 22F/22R Adj swaybars, Bilstein Sport, Elephant polybronze & monoballs, Cambermeister bar, turbo tierods, Carrera oil cooler, front brake cooling ducts, Sparco Sprint 5 & Recaro SRD PAX seat, Teamtech harness, DAS Sport rollbar.

Last edited by VFR750; 02-12-2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: title posed as question
Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think that sanding is your only option. Any chemical stripper that I can think of would not be good for the fiberglass. I am not an expert! How about using and orbital or disk grinder w/sandpaper to help cut the time down?
Tom
Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

In the past I have used stripper that was purchased from Eastwood specificaly for fiberglass. recently i tried air craft stripper in a rattle can from Pep boys. sprayed it on waited five minutes and wiped it off with 3M synthetic steel wool pad. washed it with dish detergent and rinsed with clean water. worked perfectly no problem. Less than two hours start to finish.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: