Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Who makes the best repair panels?

Hi to all.

I am getting ready to start some major cutting of the front end of my 71' 911 coupe. A very solid car - less sadly the front end!

Who makes the best quality panels? - I have been pricing out Dansk, original Porsche and Restoration Design. Price does not bother me too much however I will not buy the Porsche panel if the RD panel is just as good....

I will be doing the following: (a breif overview)

- under the pedals (small holes)
- Front suspension pan (all panels + some of the longditudinals)
- Front clip (may as well while Im there)
- batt boxes (may as well)
- Hump panel (questionable if it can be saved - would be nice to put a fresh one in)

I know some panels are available from Porsche (a limited number) but are they worth the money and is the fit good? - repro panels can be a real pain and have the worst fit....

Any thoughts for the soon to be covered in rust, burning underseal, and "Oh god why did I ever think this was going to be easy or fun" kind of guy!

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can't really put my name on these two businesses, but they do have part of what you are looking for.

Stoddard Parts

and

Restoration Designs

Brian
www.9magazine.com
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tom,

RD parts are good, but they still require a lot of work to make them fit, and the stampings aren't as crisp as originals.

I think that Stoddard's stock Dansk parts, same as above.

I won an original Porsche latch panel off Ebay and it has been the only piece that didn't cause frustration.

Having said that, Porsche doesn't produce all the parts that you might need, namely the outer rockers, they are 993 stampings now, which have depressions for the trim.

Having nearly completed the welding on my car, i wish i would have paid the extra and got original. Then again the repo parts can be made to fit, it just takes a lot longer, if you're not a body guy.

Tony
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Tony,

You pretty much summed up my suspicions regarding non-Porsche original panels - I remember doing a resto some years ago and fitting an original manufacturers panel and thinking to myself "wow that was easy - thats how its meant to be!"

Did you do a suspension pan on yours - if so any words of wisdom?

regards

tom
Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm trying to finish it now, you know the usual, lots of fabing in small areas.

I've got the RD pan and supports sitting in there as we speak, and don't forget the supports.

I went with the RD pan after reading numerous posts that they were of a better quality.

The lateral supports now thats a different story, but having said that, they will look a whole lot better than if i had to fab them.

I've never done this type of resto before, i must admit to a lot of fiberglass in my past, so it's been a steep learning curve for me.

They're a large amount of great guys on the site, and I've found them willing to help.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Points for the pan

1. there are a lot of posts (the search button is your friend)

2. If you can't get it on a jig like 90% of us, leave the suspension in place so you can check.

3. Get a lot of drill bits,you're going to need them, as i think Hans and Otto got paid by the spot weld.

4. The new pans are designed to fit in from above

5. Don't forget the supports, under the gas tank support.

6. Fit the gas tank before you do the support, just to make sure it fits.

7. The manual has a great diagram with measurements, if you need it i can scan it for you.

In my case it was measure 20 times cut once.

Tony
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tony,

Good advice, I have done a few searches but it's always better coming from some one who has just done it them selves who can still savor the mistakes made and parts perfected!

I did a complete resto (lots of rust removal) fifteen years ago.... its amazing how much of the detail I now cant remember. The one pretty clear memory I have is of vowing NEVER to do it again - too late now!

One specific question for you: you say you are getting through lots of drill bits; is this a result of drilling out all the old panels as opposed to cutting them out and have you spot welded the new panels in rather than running seams? (I assume you are using a standard mig)

also......

Are you going for an 'as original panel finish' (spot welds -v- seams) If so could you describe how this is working for you and if there are any tricks you have aquired along the way.
(sorry rather a long/difficult question)

Many thanks tom
Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Some of the panels RD carries are OEM Porsche, atleast the one I got was.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bob,
I am going to call them and check into that. thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Tom,

Yes i'm drilling out the spot welds on most of the panels to retain the origional flange, although having said that there are some panels where i cut and then grinded the top panel down, so as to stop the swiss cheese affect. (bottom seam of the inner rocker where it joins the floor pan).

Spot weld drill bits are great, but they have there place. As an example if your replacing the front pan, you can just drill through the spot welds along the bottom of the latch panel, as you will have a nice new flange to weld to on the new pan. (if that makes sense).

I have used 1/4" drill bits, which makes it easier for me to plug weld the new panel (stops you arcing to the side, which gives poor penitration)

Yes i've got a gas mig, that i'm running CO2/Argon and .6mm wire.

I'm scared to death of warping things so i will plug weld at either end of the panel and then wait until it's cool to the touch before welding again. I could probably go faster, but as i said earlier i'm new to this.

And remember you can produce as much, if not more heat grinding.

I havn't taken any recent pictures but this was the back of the car welded.
It included outer section of the floor, a section of the longitudional, the bottom of the A pillar and both inner and outer rocker panels.

I spent a large amount of time trying to get the door to fit properly, and for the life of me couldn't work out why the guy who did the 80's resale red paint required to use an inch of bondo across the rocker and bottom of the door. Then i noticed red paint under the door hinges, changed them over and it fitted to perfection, welded up the rocker, and now i have nice 3mm gaps.

Tony
Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Tony

That 3mm gap looks good! - it looks like you have done a lot of work.

Im sure as I get stuck in it will all come back to me.

Cheers
Tom
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Tom,
You can do like I did and just pay someone to do the suspension pan, it is easier to pay the bill than fit the pan.
Good luck!
Eric
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you get stuck, or i can help in anyway just give me a shout.

I'd offer to come and help but it's a little too far for me to travel
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hi Eric,

Good to hear from you. for better or worse I am going to get in there and fit that pan!

cheers tom
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Tom,
If you take your time it will turn out just fine, I wanted to drive my car this year so I elected to have someone qualified to do it. I'm sending you a PM also.
Eric
Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: