Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Alii&Maui

Garage
Carbon fiber

I need some expert advice from this board. I'm looking to get a carbon fiber duck tail from Getty Design and have questions as to fitting it to the car.
I downloaded and read the FRP tips as well as How to install deck lids from Getty, and as far as I can tell the instructions are for fiberglass and not for carbon fiber.

I want the tail to be clear coated and not painted so how do I go about fitting the tail without using bondo to fill low spots and cover the carbon fiber or sanding to lower high spots without cutting into the carbon fiber fibers?

I understand how to get shut lines nice and straight, I also understand post curing/cooking but high and low spots I'm at a loss.

I've heard good things about Getty quality so I'm hoping the tail won't have problems.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
SCWDP#0087
KCSSL#0082
Old 03-28-2009, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you will find in most cases only the top layer is carbon fiber and all the under layers are fiber glass . so the install will be the same as fiber glass . there is no need to clear carbon fiber the resin used has more than sufficient UV protection . but it can be doen . carbon fiber can be color sanded and buffed if needed just like you do with clear coats . to get it to sit flat on the rear lid . you will have to grind and sand the edge of the tail . sand and grind the edge so that the tool is spining to the inside or center of the tail . this helps not to get chips on the outer edge of the tail .
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Alii&Maui

Garage
A late thank you 962. It took a month of thinking about what you posted to sink into this hard head. You wouldn't happen to know the weights of the cf vs. fg duck tail?
SCWDP#0087
KCSSL#0082
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

from the ones i have had in my hands . the same ! most of the time a tail or hood is made the same way with the same resin . insted of the first layer being fibor-glass matting is carbon-fibor . i have made real carbon fiber panels . what is sold to people and what people think there getting ? i have to much to say about that ! if you like the look than get it ! if that tail was all carbon fiber then it would cost about 2000 dollars .
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Alii&Maui

Garage
Ouch! I'm not going to spend that kind of money. The reason I ask about the weight is I bought a Gary Stratton duck tail and that thing was super light but it was to fragile for me. Every time I went to close it I thought I would break it. The base was metal but the glass duck was thin.
I've had a turbo tail and that thing was heavy and built like a brick s#%t house.
I do want a ducktail but one that is made for a street car and not like Gary's that's made for a race car.
Thanks for listening
SCWDP#0087
KCSSL#0082
Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: