Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Want to remove sun roof...

I would like to get rid of the sun roof on my 930, in my opinion that is a 2 for 1 deal as it makes the car lighter and look better.
Now I have done this on a car before with the help of a very skilled body man- we took a flat piece of hood metal from a scrapped car, welded it up, bowed it, and filled the rest.

I just would like to hear any other ideas about how to do this, my ultimate goal is to figure out the way I could use the least amount of filler.

Oh and when done, what the hell do I do about the head liner?

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette

Last edited by 930gt-40r; 04-01-2009 at 07:29 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i have doen this to some cars in the past . in all but 2 cases i replaced the foor panels . the only 911 we did in my shop . i removed all the sunroof tracking supports from the inside of the car so there was just the roof tin left . i called the junk yard and had them cut a peace out of a 911's roof they had and i tig welded it in its place . the bone yard peace was cheap real cheap like 30 bucks . this sayed the time of not having to make the patch on my english wheel . becouse it was tig welded in we only needed two thin coats of plastic body filler . there is no roof support (rib) to install in that place were the sunroof was . the down side was that it only saves about 25 lbs . becouse it was a track car the owner did not want a head liner back in the car . but if you wanted a head liner then you would have to replace it with one for a none sun roofed car .
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I see- the tig must make life a lot easier on the grinding/filling. But wouldnt the tig create more heat? or is it just more pin-pointed heat? I have done both but just not that much. Now next winter I plan to remove the sun roof and the slant nose rear quarter vents. I may need some help doing the metal work, are you for hire? I also would want to weld in a support bracket for the head liner.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sun Roof

Done quite a few now:

Start with wheeled panel with correct curvature

Cut away sunroof parts

Spot weld panel into place

Fill

Flat

Prime

Paint

Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
Start with wheeled panel with correct curvature
Now do you make these panels to order? If I had a panel with the right curvature, I wouldnt be so intimidated to take on the task if I had curve to work with. Do you have to add a support ribe to the inside?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

some people remove the entire outer skin (roof panel and replace eliminating the need for bondo on top.

I have a non sunroof from a NV car that you could cut a piece larger than the sunroof opening after you remove all the inner structure.

I want $100 and will be willing to cut a piece 3" larger than you need after I center where the sunroof would be if there was one. I also have the inner rods to re install the headliner without the sunroof.

Jim

jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sun roof

We step the edge of the 'fill in' panel and have a 3-phase spot welder with extended arms. Cutting a piece from a non-suroof panel would give the correct curve but I would still advise setting the edge.

The amount of filler needed is minimal and we use a metal loaded filler such as
U Pol D which is easier and causes less problems than lead loading.

We have never used a stiffener internally as the once the panel is spot welded in place the stiffness of the roof skin is more than adequate and can't be distinguished from a non-sunroof panel.

We are just making a batch of panels which will be supplied with a template laser cut from aluminium to make sure theprofiles are set correctly before spot welding.

Changing the roof skin by unwrapping the gutters is quite tricky and can lead to problems if the gutters aren't re-crimped correctly.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

on a panel like that i would not opt for stepping the panel . there are pluses and minuses in the way chris talks about . the plus is that if your not a good metal worker,welder there is less of a chance of warpping the panel . the down sides are . rusting down the road . even with a weld primer it will rust . when a spot weld is doen it burns the weld primer away around the weld . about a 1/8 inch around it . there is no way to get more primer back around that weld when the two panels are over lapping . the next down side to the way that was doen is that with out a continuos weld there is a very good chance of the body filler cracking down the road . what may couse this is the car flexing and or the hot sun baking the foor panel . which brings me to the filler that was used for that job . a product like upol d or allmetal is an aluminum based product . as any metal worker knows sheet metal and aluminum do not expand and contract at the same rate . this will also couse the body work to srink and crack over time . using a fiborglass based product will do the same thing . if you do feal the need to step the panel then you can buy a punch , step tool for about 100 bucks . butt welding a panel in like that is the only proper long lasting way to do it ! if you know how to weld and work with metals .as for removing the foor panel is quight ez and straight forward its no harder that doing a door skin , just bigger . if you opt for cutting off the roof panel there is a tool to reinstall it over the pinch weld (rain gutter ) that makes it look like an OE job . the tool for that cost about 60 dollars its the same air tool for doing door skins . this is the best way and the one i opt for but the cost is high . becouse the roof comes with the cowel you make a cut on the A-pillers and seam it in there thats the only filler work you would need to do . just respot weld were the glass sits and take the air tool and fold over the rain gutter . on the rain gutter seam you would use door skin panel adhesive . over the 30 years i have been doing body work and the count less amount of roofs i have changed i have never hade a come back from a roof replacement ! its just not that big of a deal .
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

All this talk about welding and roofs and such makes me want to pull a double header: Rain gutters and sunroof removal...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

We have used a spot welder and U Pol D on the advice of a UK Company that restore E Type Jags at the high end of the market.

The number of E Type Coupes that were fitted with a cheap glass sunroof is amazing. To restore the cars correctly they needed to fix the roof.

After a couple of years of lead loading they started to use an aluminium based filler and have had excellent results for more than 10 years now.

The amount of filler in the step joint is tiny and I don't think that the differential expansion will be much of an issue but time will tell.

I can agree with the butt welding arguement but the skill required is very high and the chances of creating distortion are equally high.

As most of the cars we deal with are race or rallied we feel we have come up with a practical, affordable and repeatable technique.

The first one we did has been rallied in the woods for 3 years now an there is no sign of distortion, cracking or corrosion.

If we have a shell with the electrics removed we an take out the steel work fit, weld, fill and prime the new panel in about 41/2 hours.

So as the man who fell off the Empire State Building said to himself - so far so good
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just bought a track car and the PO had the sunroof gutted and welded shut with tabs. They used silicon to seal it from the outside, it's now leaking. I was thinking of just grinding out the sealer with a wire wheel and filling it with an aluminum-based filler. Is there some reason to not use the existing sunroof panel for the patch? By the way, it's going to stay a track car, I just want it to not leak.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: