Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rinse with ammonia after phosphoric acid?

Did I read that somewhere? Or, what is the best way to neutralize the metal before prime?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Milt-

You didn't use straight phosphoric acid did you?

I suspect (hope) you diluted or used something like Picklex or Metal Ready. I was always told to not neutralize with a base but to just wash thoroughly with water.
1969 911E, 'Orangina'
1968 SWT Project
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
DP935 member

I found this on a Jeep site.

http://42gpw.com/acid.html

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelmendo View Post
Milt-

You didn't use straight phosphoric acid did you?

I suspect (hope) you diluted or used something like Picklex or Metal Ready. I was always told to not neutralize with a base but to just wash thoroughly with water.
Actually "The Must For Rust" is my preferred product. I've since read that a small amount of baking soda in water works as a rinse.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Milt,

Do you care to describe what you're doing? I've been experimenting with different products, and I'm interested in your results.

Tim K
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I used to use baking soda in water back when I worked with body lead, it really cleaned up the metal nice and never had any kind of surface rust that you normally find a day later.
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

Ewwwww! Acid?! Let me wring my hands a bit . . . I use DuPont 5717S (yeah, I had to go look in the garage to get that number so I'm not a total geek) just as the directions state. It took a bit of bravery to put water on fresh metal, but it'll be another 40 years before we find out if that was such a bad idea . . .

Last edited by 1968Cayman; 04-24-2009 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would use a mixture of 15% Phosphoric Acid and 5% Citric Acid (Citric Acid has a high affinity for iron). If you dilute this to a pH of about 3-3.5 it will be quite effective.

The problem is that this mix will tend to run off any vertical panels and leave black streaks.

It is fairly easy to turn into a gel with cheap wallpaper paste.

It will then stay on the shell for a reasonable time before it dries out.

We have used this mixture for some time and it is quite effective. It doesn't need neutralsing but it does need to be washed off and then if the shell isn't dried quite quickly it will flash rust.

We use a diesel powered steam cleaner to wash off the mixture and the shell then dries out very quickly with no flash rusting and a shiny finish.

We then apply a de-watering oil.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
My preferred method is:

1. phosphoric acid
2. rinse with water
3. Eastwoods Metal Prep (acid, water, zinc and phosphate)
4. wipe with mineral spirits.

No flash rust and the zinc, phosphate gives you a cold galvanized surface.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: