Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3M Weatherstrip adhesive removal?

Any tips on 3M weatherstrip adhesive removal?

I restoring the front trunk area where the PO used the 3M product to adhere the carpet liner. Also, I'm looking for a good factory finish I bought the various Wurth primer and satin and flat black paints - I hope I can get a good match. ('69 911T)

All suggestions appreciated!

Bill
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

I believe most people are using the Wurth SKS(?) to match the original coating in and under the older cars. As for the adhesive removal, if you're reworking the boot and are against the idea of using chemical-based removers, I would suggest taking it off with a light abrasive and recoating the entire area at once, assuming you find the product to your liking in regards to its simliarity to the stock appearance.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
How about a can of 3M Adhesive Remover ?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bob

Funny you mention that. I just ran across that stuff and bought some while shopping for some Wurth products. I have a long-weekend date with my gas tank and trunk restoration this weekend. I'll report back on the 3M remover - the stuff is a bit aged and hardened.

Thanks, all.
Bill
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wink

Wire brush and razor blade. gorilla snot makes great loctite for baja prepping.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Liberally apply mineral turpentine to the adhesive and let it sit for a couple of minutes, re-applying to keep the area well wetted. After about 10 minutes the stuff will wipe off easily with a rag, without any damage to your paintwork. A bit of soapy water will remove any oily residue very easily.

BTW this also works equally for tar spots, tree sap, as well as the gunk applied around the strut-tops.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: