Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing door Trim strip

I plan to shoot a couple of coats of clear over my door to hide some of the chips and prevent further chipping.

I noticed in the Bentley manual that I can unclip the metal trim at the top of the door at the bease of the window. I am always afraid of breaking trims clips and was hoping someone could share their experience and any tips hear to keep me from breaking anything.

I will also be spraying the rear quarter and wonder if that trim piece will snap off the same way.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you shouldn't break any of those clips. They are made to go in and out of their holes. I would use a wood or plastic tool to leverage the trim up. There are about 7 clips along that piece.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Bob. Do you know if that similar trim piece following the rear window on a coupe will snap off the same way? It has the rubber window seal resting on top of it. Any real problems getting it back on.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Larry
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think you mean the trim sits on top of the rubber seal... the front and rear window trim is a whole nother thing. Both of these need to be taken out with the seal and then reomved or installed in the rubber seal before it goes back into the window frame. Very easly damaged or bent if not done carefully.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry Bob, I was unclear with my wording. I was referring to the small side window just behind the door on a coupe. It has a flat trim piece at the base of the window just like the base of the window on the door. I assume that it snaps out just like the one on the door. However, it has the rubber from the window seal resting right on top of it. It is unclear whether or not that trim can be removed without first removing the window and seal. It seems feasible that I could possibly snap it out while sliding the trim from under the seal, but not sure.

Can this be done or do I have to pull the window first? If I need to pull the window, is that difficult and require new stripping. I couldn't find this in the Bentley manual.

As I think more, I may have to pull the window anyways to pint the quarter panel. I had thought about trying to pull the lip of the rubber back with tape, but not sure this will work.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

Larry
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The door trim can just be pryed off. Get underneath it at the back edge of the door with a small screwdriver, get it started up and then just lift slowly, it will come off and the clips will be fine to just snap it back on. As far as the qtr, you need to remove the glass complete with the rubber seal, and the trim is screwed to the top of the qtr. The screws are very small, and if you don't use a small proper fitting phillips screwdriver, you will strip the screws, so be carefull.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Larry - the trim for the rear quarter windows does not pop off like on the door. At least on my 70 T. Mine has the pop out rear quarter windows. The aluminum strip under neath is screwed down with 6 small screws and also has dumdum putty underneath. Take care in it's removal. Yes, you probably need to remove the window.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Knuckle Buster

Garage
Larry, The REAR trim on the bottom is screwed down to the car by tiny screws that are under the 1/4 window rubber. This CAN NOT be popped-up. You will bend it if you try. These can ONLY be removed after the rear 1/4 windows and rubber are removed ... then the trim is removed with 5 or 6 tiny little screws. If you remove this, be VERY careful not to strip out the screws.

The FRONT window trim (on the door) can be pryed up BUT start in the middle. Sounds strang but the front is easy to bend. I have used a wide flat screwdriver that I've put one layer of masking tape on the blade. They should pop out. Bob is correct there are 7 clips. If you feel alot of resistance, put a little oil on the clips, let it settle back down and then try again. Save the little foam (anti rattle) peices if they are present. If not you can make new ones with some packing foam.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: