Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
targa paint amount

Has anyone recently painted or had painted an early 911 targa? Any idea how much paint was required to do the job? I am looking for an estimate on the amount of paint before mixing that was required. I just cannot imagine that it should be more than 1.5 gallons to paint the entire car, not counting engine bay or trunk. Thanks for any recent experiences shared.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I went the BC/CC route using PPG premium line. Used about 2 1/2 pints of base for the color and a gallon of clear (three coats). this all went over epoxy primer, some 2K primer/filler and sealed with some of ther epoxy primer thinned down a bit. This all went on a coupe.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the response, I kind of thought more might chime in on this in the paint and bodywork forum but I appreciate you taking the time. Apparently the paint that I have is euro Dupont and mixes 2 parts base to 1 part additives so the calculation is a little skewed for me. So if I had 1 gallon it would make 1.5 gallons of sprayable paint where your two pints mixed probably yeild more than 1 gallon. thanks again for your comments.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
paint for targa

I painted my 77 Targa with PPG base, clear. Two quarts of metallic base coat. One gallon of clear. Painted two coats of base, 3 coats of clear. Have enough base left to probably paint another car. Ratio on base is 1:1. Your paint ratio is different, but I think two quarts should be plenty. At close to $100.00 a quart, you don't need to buy any more than necessary.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: