Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool RUF 'Blackbird' Progress & Rear end mods

Hi All,
just wanted to show you how my 'clone' RUF Blackbird is coming along. I have extended the rear arches by 1 3/4 inches (a,la Yellowbird) fitted a twin exit TT exhaust, wheels etc.
Below are some before and after pictures. As always, any comments welcome.

Front

Rear with bumper dry run fitted and standard arches.

Rear bumper fitted with arches extended a,la, Yellowbird.

Rear with bumper fitted, arches nearly finished and twin outlet TT stainless exhaust,,,, sounds awesome.

RUF Mirrors to fit and then not long before the paint job to finish......

Regards

Jammo.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking car before and after.. Keep pictures coming.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very Nice...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi All,
A bit more of an update on my RUF clone 'Blackbird' progress to date. The car is now painted and I have some shots of the work progress.

A picture of it as standard before any mods - looks anorexic doesnt it?

Here is the car with the widened arches - it now measures identical to the Yellowbird. Bumper loosely fitted - without spoiler.

Here are some more pictures of the car now I have sprayed it after the arch extensions and flag mirror delete. At this time the car is not totally finished - no sill covers, RUF mirrors etc.

And one from the rear now the beading and spoiler is fittted. The rear end is now finished.

As always, any feedback greatly recieved.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
would love to see more about your flare mods...

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very nicely done! I'll second the request for more details on how you so nicely widened the rear flares.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Rear arch extensions.

Hi, thanks for the comments.
When I fitted the rear wheels they were too tight and I wanted to create a car along the lines of the CTR. I dropped plumblines from my arches to the ground the used the CTR spec and noted the CTR is 1 3/4'' wider per side - not as wide as a turbo though. Then my search began.
I found a RUF 'clone' company in Germany who had one set of carbon fibre arch extensions - luckily I grabbed them.
Firstly I had to roll the arches to bring the original lip back on itself and start the widening process. the rolling also kept the original curve but the orifice of the arch had to be larger. This took two days of solid work. Once this had been done i removed the surface paint and primer to metal. I now started to work the arches to suit the extensions. Once this was done the arches were screwed onto the car to check fitment via the already drilled alignment holes.
Then I applied the bonding agent and fitted the arches properly as you only have one chance. Once the bonding cures (very little bonding used due to the almost perfect fit) there is no way the arches can be removed. As I didn't want to use filler I used just a very thin bead of resin to finish to the original body. Final finishing was done via stopper, flatted and then painted.
Would I do it again? well it took a long time but until it was finished I did think 'had I done the right thing'. Now its finished and looks superb it was well worth it.
It now measures exactly the same as the CTR's 'footprint' and body width.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest 'Blackbird' is now finished

Hi all,
just some more pictures now the 'Blackbird' is now totaly finished, Ruf mirrors fitted etc.
Enjoy.
Regards

Jammo.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Aren't you missing the funnel shaped air gills or intakes above the rear wheels?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
looks fantastic

VERY nice indeed.

Where have you acquired those air scoops that mounts in the front bumper.

Jesper
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms 935 View Post
Aren't you missing the funnel shaped air gills or intakes above the rear wheels?
Hi jms,
not all ctr's had the rear over arch air ducts, not since the they found out the intercoolers were not getting the envisaged air thrust down through them. In early cases it was found to draw air out. The intercoolers were relocated and the ducts deleted.
Regards

Jammo
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
VERY nice indeed.

Where have you acquired those air scoops that mounts in the front bumper.

Jesper
Hi Jesper,
Thanks for the comment, a lot of work, time (and cash) has gone into the car.
The front air ducts are modified 'I think Subaru' ducts. I extended one side of the duct to fit and they bolt on from the rear. I didnt want them to look like they were part of the bumper, more of a seperate part and that worked well. They are plumbed up to the under wing oil coolers.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
petercory

Garage
Who is the Mfg of the exhaust system?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Peter,
The exhaust manufacturer was Richard Thomas @ Turbo Thomas here in the UK. He does a cracking job and the sound is awsome, but not too loud.
Just a pair of RUF emblems now - not too sure where they come from though.

Before finishing and fitting.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi Jammo,

Do you have any contact details for Turbo Thomas. I'm doing a RUF CTR look-alike conversion on my 964, so it's not quite as straight forward as a 3.2. Most parts ore sorted out, but I need a custom exhaust to match the RUF bumper and the 964 exhaust. system.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Ashrolf,
I know his website is under reconstruction at the moment, but I have his direct number - 07817 602239 and his name is Richard.

I spent a hell of a lot of time looking and listening to all sorts/brands of exhausts and none of them replicated what I was after - raw, mettalic high pitched bark on acceleration, but I also didnt want it too loud.
After having a chat with Richard (and making all sorts of noises down the phone) he said he would try to do it for me in a single in twin outlet and I have to say he got it spot on,,,,, sounds fantastic and what I was after and looks the biz too.

Richard is not a sharp suited salesman, he is a hands on engineer and ****hot at what he does - the quality of his work is second to none.
Give him a ring.
Hope it helps.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Just a quick update.
The 'blackbird' is now totally finito and this is how it has turned out. The photo's were taken at our local Porsche dealership on a recent open day.
They had some wicked cars there inc the Carrera GT in the background.

After all the work the body turned out as I wanted and not a bad job, certainly got some looks and good comments.

Regards

Jammo.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Rennch on YouTube

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
Gorgeous. Nice job Jammo.

I don't know the RUF cars as much. Is that the correct tail?
Rennch Youtube Channel: http://rennch.com/Youtube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_rennch_/
Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
Gorgeous. Nice job Jammo.

I don't know the RUF cars as much. Is that the correct tail?
Hi emptyo,
thanks for the comment.
Tail, I have seen several genuine RUF's and not one of them had the same rear or tails.
The 'stereotype' yellowbird had the standard carrera tail and used ducts above the rear fenders for the intercoolers. Then they moved the intercoolers/tracks, didnt fit the fender ducts and used a combination of turbo style rear spoiler body but fitted with the carrera tail rubber lip. I have also seen the CTR fitted with the turbo tail (as mine is).
Afterall, RUF would build the car as the customer wanted it and of course as developments went on so did the changes. It was found that the 'original' fender vents were not 'really' effective hence the removal and relocation of intercoolers etc.
Mine is not a RUF copy, but built more in the 'homage' of the CTR.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Jammo.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,
thanks for the questions and PM's. Here is a rear quarter photo as requested.

Regards

Jammo.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: