Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Should I buy this 911?

I have a chance to buy a '68 911 Targa for $3k. 95% of the car is in outstanding shape but a truck hit the front end and the damage around the hood is pretty serious. My concern is that a body shop won't be able to straighten the body out well enough to let me put on a new fender and hood. If they can, the car is a smoking deal, but I don't want to buy it and find out later it isn't anything more than a parts car.

What do you guys think?
If it can be fixed any rough estimates on what it would take to get it done (just straightened not including the fender, hood, paint, etc.).

thanks!
Dustin
'06 997 C4S, '68 912, '99 996 C4, '97 Boxster
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your looking at replacing the entire right side from the rocker panels forward. Then you would have to pull and straighten the floor pan so that the front suspension mounting points are back to factory spec. Not to mention pulling and straightening any other component attached to the right side wheelwell.

My RSR project started as a damaged 911T that was rear ended. The damage went through the floor pan up to the forward firewall. Damage to unibody cars travels through the body to areas that weren't directly impacted by the original crash.

Not to say that this car cannot be repaired. Just be prepared to do a lot of panel replacement.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
whats the progress on this, are you going to buy? whats the going rate for a good 68 targa - is it worth it - hope so!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: